Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Buzzing/Distortion

Old 12-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Deagle
Nüb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing/Distortion

Hi,

I'm a newbie to all of this and I've got some newbie questions.

Right now I've got a Sony Xplod deck w/ Alpine Type-R componants in the front and coaxials in the back. 6.5" all around running off of deck power.

When playing certain CD's I get a buzzing sound. I assume this is the door panel vibrating when the sound hits a certain low frequency. Will putting in a dynamat speaker kit fix this problem?

My second question has to do with distortion after long periods of play. After about 45 mins of continuous play the sound starts to degrade; the bass starts to fart at lower volumes. My first guess was that the deck was heating up and wasn't able to hold the same output. Will putting in an amp solve this problem by taking the load away from the deck?

Right now I'm thinking of putting in some kind of 5 channel amp with a 10" sub. How does this wire up in connection with the crossovers for the componants in the front? Someone suggested that I instead get a pair of 2 channel amps. Does this mean I'd be running the sub off of deck power?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2002, 09:27 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Buzzing/Distortion

Originally posted by Laserguided
1.) When playing certain CD's I get a buzzing sound. I assume this is the door panel vibrating when the sound hits a certain low frequency. Will putting in a dynamat speaker kit fix this problem?

2.) After about 45 mins of continuous play the sound starts to degrade; the bass starts to fart at lower volumes. My first guess was that the deck was heating up and wasn't able to hold the same output. Will putting in an amp solve this problem by taking the load away from the deck?

3.)I'm thinking of putting in some kind of 5 channel amp with a 10" sub. How does this wire up in connection with the crossovers for the componants in the front?

Thanks in advance
1.) I can't tell you what the buzzing sound is you're hearing, but if it is indeed the door panel vibrating, yes, dynamat will help solve that problem.

2.) My friend has been having this same problem w/the deck in his car. I have never experienced this myself and lord knows I've tried to push the hell out of some 6x9's and a set of 6.5's w/a deck onlyh: In anycase, I think that's definitely a possibility. I don't know of any way to test that theory though, at least nothing short of replacing the deck, that's what sucks about this problem. Is the deck new enough that you'd be able to return/exchange it? Maybe you should call Sony tech service and see if they have been having problems like this with their decks.

3.) A 5-channel amp would be nice if space is a concern and it has enough power to run your mids/highs and your sub. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny on a decent one. In anycase, you wouldn't change anything as far as how the components are wired up, you'd just have to disconnect the wires from the deck to the speakers, and connect the wires from the amp to the speaker, everything else would stay the same. If you were to go w/a dual amp setup, a 4 channel amp for the mids/highs would be the way to go, with either a 2ch amp, or a mono amp for the sub.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Deagle
Nüb

Default Re: Re: Buzzing/Distortion

Originally posted by 94uhkord

2.) My friend has been having this same problem w/the deck in his car. I have never experienced this myself and lord knows I've tried to push the hell out of some 6x9's and a set of 6.5's w/a deck onlyh: In anycase, I think that's definitely a possibility. I don't know of any way to test that theory though, at least nothing short of replacing the deck, that's what sucks about this problem. Is the deck new enough that you'd be able to return/exchange it? Maybe you should call Sony tech service and see if they have been having problems like this with their decks.
Yeah, my deck is only a couple months old. It's a Sony CDX-M730 52x4W (?).

I noticed this problem the other day. I had it cranked up pretty high and after about 45 mins it started gradually distorting. Bringing it down a notch got rid of the problem. I pulled the CD out and it was pretty hot. I think that area around the controls and deck in an Integra tends to heat up a lot, especially when you have the heater on. I'll try calling Sony though. That seems to be the only thing to do right now.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

It's getting distorted because the amplifier is getting overworked. It could be you jamming it to hard/loud, or it could be Sony's engineering to attempt to get more power out of the same power supply they were using back when it was 30x4. Get an amp and you'll be 20times better! I think a 5 channel is a good idea cuz then the 10" would pick up all the bass you've been missing out on. That's my thought. :beer:
Old 12-10-2002, 06:12 AM
b00gers

Default Re: Buzzing/Distortion

Originally posted by Deagle
Hi,

I'm a newbie to all of this and I've got some newbie questions.

Right now I've got a Sony Xplod deck w/ Alpine Type-R componants in the front and coaxials in the back. 6.5" all around running off of deck power.

When playing certain CD's I get a buzzing sound. I assume this is the door panel vibrating when the sound hits a certain low frequency. Will putting in a dynamat speaker kit fix this problem?

My second question has to do with distortion after long periods of play. After about 45 mins of continuous play the sound starts to degrade; the bass starts to fart at lower volumes. My first guess was that the deck was heating up and wasn't able to hold the same output. Will putting in an amp solve this problem by taking the load away from the deck?

Right now I'm thinking of putting in some kind of 5 channel amp with a 10" sub. How does this wire up in connection with the crossovers for the componants in the front? Someone suggested that I instead get a pair of 2 channel amps. Does this mean I'd be running the sub off of deck power?

Thanks in advance
the buzzing CAN be your panels. an easy test is to bump your music and take the speaker cover off. then when the noise comes, put ur finger or weight on the panels. if this stops if, apply sound deadener.

sounds like the amp is starting to struggle. you should power the separates with an amp anyway....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better sound.

i dont know who told you to get a pair of 2ch amps....it would make more sense to just get a 5ch or a 4ch and another mono or 2ch. you can even get a single 4ch, run the fronts on 2 of them, and bridge the other 2 for the sub. then run the rear coax from the deck. im not too familiar with the deck, how many outputs does it have?