Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

The current status of this board and an Apology

Old 12-07-2002, 06:58 PM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The current status of this board and an Apology

I'm sure everyone is aware of the hostility on this board as of late. Up until this past week, this board has been fun, informative, and has needed little moderation.

I just spent the last half hour editing and deleting posts...that's not fun.

After having some time to chill out, and re-read the infamous "How Deep" thread. I realized that I do infact owe an aplogy to Buckman.

While we may disagree about some technical aspects on how to get a certain driver into a certain door, none the less, I was overly aggressive in my original reply. I'm offering an apology, I'm Sorry.

The thread has been closed for now, and I would like to open the topic for technical discussion again as soon as the photos surface.

Audio is a hobby/passion for all of us, that's why we are here. This can and should lead to debates, but as of late mudslinging and flaming (myself included) has been the norm.

I'd like to get this board back to a friendly, technical place to BS about Audio....I'm trying to make the first step here.

There is a difference between flaming other members and joking around. Let's keep it civil.

Also, leave any past baggage from other sites behind....this is not the place to discuss these kinds of things.

Now let's get back on-topic.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 12-07-2002, 07:06 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

If I offended anyone or acted in a way that can be seen as immature, I too apologize. I hope we can all post in peace here, it's been fun so far, let's keep it rolling.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:01 AM
Bass Mechanic

hey Rcurley. i did not know anything about this how deep thread untill i just read it.
for the record i have been installing for 15 years. and like a 5th gen prelude the outside flange of the speaker looks to me to be the issue. i think what you were trying to point out is simply that if you hacked up the door enough you would be able to get a speaker that size to fit. but in doing so you would not be able to return it to stock. also from the looks of the speaker you would have a mounting flange that is larger in diameter than the stock grille would cover. the grille would not fit over the speaker mounting flange.
i had a similar argument with a local shop i went to with a friend of mine that had a 2000 prelude. they said the exact same thing about some boston 6.5 pro speakers. not only are the magnets too deep to fit the door but the prelude has a similar issue in that the speaker actually mounts to the door panel and not behind it or in a separate rain guard housing. because of this ONLY a speaker with the outside mounting flage that is the same size as the OEM speaker will fit. reguardless of the magnet diameter or depth. the speaker sits in a recessed hole in the door panel. the recessed hole is the same 6.5 " diameter of the outside diameter of the mounting flange of the speaker. the door panel actually is the speaker mount and also holds the grille. the outside diameter of the speaker mounting flange is 6.5 inches where as a boston pro is 7" in diameter. to get this speaker into the door of a prelude would require cutting all of the inside of the door panel out making it impossible to reinstall the factory speakers. this was a leased vechicle and he did not want to cut up the door.

FWIW buckman is wrong and right. yes you can get a larger speaker in the door but withought distroying a door panel in the process.
i have been doing installs for 15 years and if i had a doller for every kid i worked with that has been doing it for any number of 10 years or less they all think they are experts. you and i have talked about this before. you cant tell them they are wrong. just like any teenager they "KNOW" they are right, the best thing you can do is just leave them alone. sooner or later their cocky attitude will bite them in the ass in some shape or form.

anyway in continuing with the story and as an example i ran into this installer that was trying to tell me he had installed the bostons in a 5th gen prelude. we were at a local place where guys in town gather on saturdays for a car show.
this guy and i were talking and i had not remembered he was the same installer initially.
after sdome talking about systems and i showed him mine, he said to me that the guy with the prelude i was with that day came back in the next day and they installed thoes boston pros in the doors of his prelude.
well what the guy didnt realise that the guy i was with happend to be my best friend. the truth of the story is that after the shop with the bostons we went to another shop and bought some kenwood dual mags and they dropped right in and sounded perfect.
i did my friends whole system from front to back and also bought all his equipment through hook up's i had. so i know exactly was was installed and who did it. I DID!!
the point im making is some people will go to no limit to prove they are right even if it means tell you a bold faced lie.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:24 AM
b00gers

a mod that actually mods this board.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:32 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
we went to another shop and bought some kenwood dual mags and they dropped right in and sounded perfect.
That's what im screaming. Finally somebody agree's w/me that the Kenwood DualMags are worthy:bowdown:
I had these in my 4th Gen civic and am getting another set(should be on thier way next week) for my 5th gen Accord. These speakers eliminate the hassle of cutting,modding, and all that crap, the drop right in and sound sweet. No depth issues, no mdf baffle issues, simple as plug-n-play.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:33 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
you don't come to these parts much anymore WiLL, you missed all the fun
Old 12-08-2002, 07:38 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Originally posted by WiLL
:fawk:
Old 12-09-2002, 09:40 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

well rcurley, you have a PM about my thoughts and I will not flame anymore unless it is to seth. My issues with seth are obvious and will not stop. Ignorance is a pet pieve of mine and when someone absolutely is overflowing with it, it makes my head hurt. I refuse to treat him any different and I will TRY to not flame him but I can't guarantee anything. As for you and the rest of the members, I'll be more than happy to treat them with respect as long as I get the same treatment. It's as simple as that. Appology accepted and I hope you can accept my appologies as well. Have a great day :beer:
Old 12-09-2002, 10:00 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

I'm glad everyone is growing up and acting as nice Honda-Acura enthusiast....:thumbup:

Again, please refrain from flaming and verbally abusing other members in the public threads. Feel free to do so with the PM's though because we don't regulate those....
Old 12-09-2002, 10:02 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by Toxis
well rcurley, you have a PM about my thoughts

Appology accepted and I hope you can accept my appologies as well. Have a great day :beer:
PM returned....no hard feelings...have a good one.