Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

remote start

Old 11-29-2002, 11:25 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

i would like to install a remote start in both my hatchbacks,...now i know you can install them in manual cars,...and i have heard of one danger which is leaving your car in gear,...well i never leave my car in gear unless im on a really freaking steep hill,..anyways,...is there any other dangers,...another question i have is how hard is the install??? i do everything myself so i would like to do this also,..i just dont know the difficulty of the install,..if someone can help me by explaining the install for me i would greatly appreciate it,...i know different starters use different directions but explaining the basics would be fine,..thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2002, 07:45 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

on a manual car, I personally do not recomend a remote starter... and I wont install them due to insurance purposes... but if you want to, thats your choice and risk. You'll have to by-pass the clutch switch, that only allows the starter to turn when the clutch is pressed... I recomend using a on-off switch so when you get out of the car, you can activate it.

They really are not too hard to install... you can go to www.designtechintl.com and you'll find wirring diagrams with wire locations... which will make it 10 times easier to install. All the wirring is under the dash, and some models/brands use a power wire from the battery. I recomend finding a brand with external relays... the brands with internal relays tend to not work as well, and if a relay goes bad you have to change the whole unit, unless you are up to soldering in a new relay.

if you need more detail, let me know and i'll try to help further.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Dunbar

Get a remote starter designed for manuals. If you don't than you will eventually start the car in gear. I know you think that isn't possible but everybody eventually does (everybody, look around!) 3000lb. cars hopping across the pavement are not cool.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:59 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I installed one in my manual car. It was pretty easy. Though it sort of takes to long to start it sometimes and the range is horrible (5ft!).
Old 12-06-2002, 06:33 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Someone I used to work with installed a remote starter on his 1993 Taurus SHO five speed..... I'll never forget the show he put on for us one day after work. The parking lot was empty, so he engaged second gear (so the car wouldn't go very fast) and hit the starter.... it's kind of funny watching a car move with nobody in it! But, this can be VERY dangerous. I don't personally recomend it. There's always a chance you will park it in a low gear (or reverse) and forget you did. If you're in a crowded parking lot or your kitchen is directly in front of your attached garage, you could have a catastrophy. I would say not to do it.