Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alarm siren sounding after dead battery

Old 11-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Kaspin
1991 Prelude Si 4WS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm siren sounding after dead battery

When my prelude sat for a couple weeks while I was getting parts to fix it, the battery drained while the alarm was armed. When we went to jump start the car, the alarm siren went off, and wouldn't respond to the remote. So i just pulled the plug on the brain unit. And now I'm trying to get it working again, but as soon as I plug it in, the siren goes off and I can't shut it off. I checked the remote battery and it's good. I tried going through the programming sequence, but it doesn't seem to work when the siren is sounding.

In the manual, it lists a feature, Alarm State Memory: If a thief removes power while the alarm is armed, and reconnects it, the alarm will instantly sound, the parking lights will flash and the starter will be disabled. I'm guessing the alarm thinks this is it's current state, but I can't shut it off.

Anyone know anything about this? The alarm is an Avital Diablo 2.

I miss using the remote to unlock my doors
Old 11-20-2002, 06:52 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Can you take it back to where you had it installed or perhaps any place that installs Avital alarms (Best Buy I think)?? They should be able to reset it and get it working correctly again.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Rycechyk

Default Re: Alarm siren sounding after dead battery

That sounds like what happened to me this summer. I had to pull the fuse, and then I called Circuit City and they said to bring it in. They reconnected the fuse, the alarm went off, and he hit the button and it stopped. What the heck? I did that at home multiple times and it didn't work! I felt a little stupid, but I guess whatever works. Anyway, yeah, take it to the installer and see what they say. Maybe it'll fix itself while you're there just like mine did.
Originally posted by Kaspin

I miss using the remote to unlock my doors
So did I. It sucked having to actually use a key.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:20 PM
offthahook
Reppin' the 317, SUCKA!!

My Lude does the same thing when the battery runs down. We just start it with the key in the ignition, then reset it. It is hella loud with the hood open. It's a Code alarm.

Dude your Lude is tight. I have a 91 Si with ABS (ALL white). Why is your handle not red? Is that on purpose?
Old 12-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Buckman

A little known fact it that when you do anything to your battery the alarm resets it's self. Most of the time you have to take it to the shop that installed it to reset it and sometimes you don't. If you are having a problem with your remotes I but they got unprogramed. I've seen where after a battery dies something happens in the alarm brain that the remote have to be reprogramed to the brain. I wouldn't worry to much it's a quick and easy fix for the shop that installed it. :thumbup:
Old 12-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Kaspin
1991 Prelude Si 4WS

Originally posted by Buckman
I wouldn't worry to much it's a quick and easy fix for the shop that installed it. :thumbup:
Problem is, I have no idea who installed it initially. The alarm was on the car when I bought it, and the place I bought it from, said they didn't know it even had alarm. (I wonder what they thought the remote hanging on the key chain was for )

I did relocate and re-wire the whole thing (the mess of wires hanging from the dash was just screaming "cut me to disable me!"), and didn't have any problem from when it was disconnected for a couple days while I did that.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 AM
Buckman

Well then what I would do it just find a shop that sells those kind of alarm you have and go talk to them. They should be able to fix it.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:26 PM
live4speed

it happened to me. I just connected the battery, let it ring for about a minute, and then just disarm with remote. It should work unless your remote is dead.