Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

6x9s in Front Doors?? 97 Coupe

Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
mustangsvo85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9s in Front Doors?? 97 Coupe

I know the doors have 6.5s in them but has anyone tried to fit 6x9s? I just want to know it there is enough door panel room for them and if there is no clearance issues in the door itself. I have manual windows too if that matters. I dont have any issues with 6.5s I just have a whole bunch of 6x9s in my possession.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

No, unless you want to do some fiber glass work to the door panel, NO. It will not fit, and it will most likely sound like crap.

Get a decent set of 6.5" speakers. If you wish to amp them, get a nice set of components, and I'm not running rear speakers either. Messes with imgaing and sound qaulity.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
b00gers

What car is this? But with most Hondas, the effort wouldnt be worth it. You are probably going to have to do some cutting of the panels. Sell some of your 6x9s and get a good set of 6.5s.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Travis@DICE
Banned

Originally Posted by mustangsvo85
I know the doors have 6.5s in them but has anyone tried to fit 6x9s? I just want to know it there is enough door panel room for them and if there is no clearance issues in the door itself. I have manual windows too if that matters. I dont have any issues with 6.5s I just have a whole bunch of 6x9s in my possession.
The big draw back to a 6X9 speaker is you do get some distortion out of the speaker. 6.5" speakers are going to give you a lot cleaner audio. If you are wanting some more mid bass i would recomend looking into a set of componets with the option of adding an extra 6.5" mid range. You can always build a set of kick panels so you can get the better sound in your car. Remember most the audio you hear is from the front speakers in the car. That is where you will need the best speakers at.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Speaker size has nothing to do with distortion. Distortion comes from different equalizing, crossover slopes, and what bass and treble settings are at, and how much power is going to a speaker.

Kick panels are going to be hard if you have a manual, and you will lose your dead pedal. I have a 5 speed, and tried to do kick panels, but the driver side got in the way of using the clutch pedal.

Don't get components unless you are going to amp them. Comps were not designed to run off head unit power, and never will be. Also, mounting the speakers correctly will give you better sound. The stock speakers are mounted on the door panels. You want to cut that out, either make or buy a speaker baffle and mount the mid range drivers to the door in self. I will see if I can find a pic of mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Travis@DICE
Banned

Originally Posted by pslsnakes
Speaker size has nothing to do with distortion. Distortion comes from different equalizing, crossover slopes, and what bass and treble settings are at, and how much power is going to a speaker.

Kick panels are going to be hard if you have a manual, and you will lose your dead pedal. I have a 5 speed, and tried to do kick panels, but the driver side got in the way of using the clutch pedal.

Don't get components unless you are going to amp them. Comps were not designed to run off head unit power, and never will be. Also, mounting the speakers correctly will give you better sound. The stock speakers are mounted on the door panels. You want to cut that out, either make or buy a speaker baffle and mount the mid range drivers to the door in self. I will see if I can find a pic of mine.

The 6X9 will give some distortions jut because audio is suppose to be produced as a circle. When you use an od shaped speaker your freq. waves cross eachother.

Compontents can be ran off of a head unit power. I would not run a high quality pair off of a head unit but if you get a basic 2 way component speaker system it will sound fine.