Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Question re: XM satellite radio & Alpine CD changer

Old 11-13-2002, 09:57 PM
stryker2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: XM satellite radio & Alpine CD changer

Hello. I have a 1992 Civic EX with an Alpine 5970 CD changer and TDM 7574 head unit. I'd like to get XM satellite radio, and would like to know if Alpine or any other company makes a single DIN XM head unit that will also control the changer. I'm also curious how much I'll have to spend to get XM, and if anyone can recommend a place to buy the equipment. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:45 PM
crash

i know xm is $10/month.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:47 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

hmm, older alpine equipment... well, you can upgrade the head unit to a new Ai-net unit... which will control a XM satelite tuner and the changer. The XM tuner has a pass-through for doing so... so both units can be controlled.

BTW, whats the full model # for the changer?? there should be 3 letters before the 5970.

They also have a FM modulated XM kit, the controller for the XM tuner will also control a changer... so if keeping your present head unit is something you want to do, it can also be done that way. FM modulation tends to lack sound quality pretty bad... so upgrading the head unit would be your best bet for better sound quality... but more expensive.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:04 PM
stryker2

Thanks to both of you who replied for the info. I'm not sure the letters before the 5970, it didn't say anything more on the owner's manual. I'll have to look on the device itself. I got the changer originally with an FM modulator kit, then later I replaced the head unit. I'm going to spring for a new head unit when I go XM, I agree that you can hear the degradation in quality with an FM modulator. Also, I'd love to hear about good places or sites to buy the equipment -- sounds like I need an XM ready head unit, an XM tuner, and an XM antenna. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

You cant buy alpine online, and get the warranty... they are very anal about warranties... they track all their serial numbers, so they know where what was sold. If it was sold over the internet... no warranty.

I buy my alpice stuff locally. I get good deals cause I know the guy well.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:42 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

here is a link to Alpine's website that gives some information about their XM tuner and the compatible head units.

Alpines full website is www.alpine1.com
Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 AM
kleankord

im selling my XM setup... all you need is the receiver... includes antenna, the wires, and the controller/hu. -asking 50 but am flexible.