Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Changing cluster but keeping odometer?

Old 10-13-2002, 07:57 AM
T-RO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing cluster but keeping odometer?

Well I need to switch my cluster out on my car (want a tach). Is it possible for me to swap them out but keep my speedometer, or my odometer? I dont want to take off mine which is at 85k for one thats higher.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 AM
BUMPIN' 4 U
Certified JACKASS

Find a place near you that can reset the other cluster to match your original odometer reading. I swaped mine a year ago and the guy who did my cluster didn't even charge me because he said it is easy. Just make sure you bring the original cluster so that they won't think you're doing odometer fraud.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:09 PM
T-RO

What kind of place does this? A "performance shop"?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:08 PM
BUMPIN' 4 U
Certified JACKASS

Well, I found one here in Washington and the name of the place is Tacoma Speedometer and Instrument Repair.They are not a performance shop. I messed up my speedometer and tachometer when trying to install an indiglo gauge for the 1st time. Probably you did the same thing. Anyways, look on the yellow pages under speedometer. Good luck bro.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:07 PM
mobius

don't ex'es come with a tach????
I switched out my dx fuel and oil for an ex tach and fuel/oil gauge and kept my speedo. works like a charm. just go to a junkyard (or call around) and see if they have a dead ex laying around. you should be able to buy the whole cluster for $35 or so. just scrap the ex speedo and keep your original mileage
Old 10-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

I used the new cluster, swapped out the middle section of my old one and implanted it into the new cluster. It's like...3-4 screws?

Nothing hard at all...