Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What's everyone's recommendations on CB radio mounts

Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM
gettheledout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's everyone's recommendations on CB radio mounts

I have a 4dr 2000 Civic and I recently acquired a 5 foot Firestik II antenna. I don't want to drill any holes, and if I do, I want them to be somewhere where they can't be seen. Most magnet mounts won't hold a 5 foot antenna.. I've been looking at those $50 license plate mounts but they're fairly expensive and I'd have to drill new holes with some kind of metal mount for the screws. Anyone have any good ideas on a place or new way to mount my antenna, or am I just good with a license plate mount (and how would I make that work or make my own:eek4: ) Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
gettheledout

bump after doing other projects
Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
cpvdh

my dad is a ham so he always has antennas mounted on his cars
most of them he has drilled holes of some kind
on his pilot he got ones that mount to the roof rack, they work great, but on a civic unless you have a rack it wont be helpful at all

if you are handy and want a project i would look into buying a spare radio antenna plate, the one that goes above the drivers door on the roof
then try to attach the antenna to that and replace the stock radio antenna with your new cb antenna
im not sure how big your antenna is, but it seems like it may work, and it gives you a mounting surface that is replacable and also hides all wires since you can run it down with the old radio antenna

besides that idea i cant think of anything else that actually holds up very well, i have seen some that mount to glass and they seem decent, but usually the glue wears out after a while and it needs to be replaced

good luck though, maybe try posting in a ham forum and see what they have to say
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
gettheledout

it's a 5 ft. My car has no external FM antenna =/
Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
cpvdh

Originally Posted by gettheledout
it's a 5 ft. My car has no external FM antenna =/
i thought all ek's had radio antennas on the driver side roof?

anyway check out here
http://www.walcottcb.com/antenna-mou...5ae7f5644acb0c

my dad said he gets most of his from radio shack, but they dont show them online
he also has a trunk lip mounted one on his passat, it works well and doesnt require drilling, but you need to test fit to see if it will bash into the window when opened

i would still try ham forums, those guys are pretty crafty and should have some good ideas