Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Eg Ex stock tweeter location question

Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eg Ex stock tweeter location question

I bought some Polk DB6500's for my front door. I did a power window swap, so my Si has the panels with tweeters.

I took the old tweeter out, and placed a strip of self-adhesive velcro the bottom of the new tweeter and to the metal bracket to get it to stay. I also used some self-adhesive rubber foam weather seal to fill the gap around the top of the tweeter.

The tweeter sits firm inside, and I don't see any gaps around the edges.

My question is if you think I should put the cover that was on the other tweeter, on top of this one before I put the stock grill on top?

Any help would be cool. Also, where's a good spot to place the crossover it came with?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

It don't think it will matter either way. As for the crossover, keep it out of the elements. If you can attach it to the door panel somewhere, that works.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
It don't think it will matter either way. As for the crossover, keep it out of the elements. If you can attach it to the door panel somewhere, that works.
Thanks.

You think using strong velcro and placing it on the back of the door panel would work? I'd rather not drill it to the door.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM
b00gers

Just needs 1 cover to protect it from someone sticking their fingers in there h: My crossover is in secured in my door panel. If you do put it in there, be aware that moisure WILL get in there. So make sure everything is watertight.

-Velcro should be fine. The unit shouldnt have anything tugging on it.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Thanks for the advice guys.

BTW.... I'm running Polk DB6500 in the front, and Polk DB5250 for the back. They're 100 watts RMS. 300 and 200 watt peak. What's the smallest 4-channel amp I should run? I was going to pick up an Alpine MRP-f450 70 x 4 from a friend of mine.

Thanks

Last edited by Chefboiali; 03-18-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

:nervous: Should I get a bigger amp, or go with 70x4?

Last edited by Chefboiali; 03-19-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
b00gers

If you are getting the amp for very cheap...I say the 70x4 is fine. You can get loud enough with that. Otherwise, I would get as big as you can afford.

Whats your budget?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by b00gers
If you are getting the amp for very cheap...I say the 70x4 is fine. You can get loud enough with that. Otherwise, I would get as big as you can afford.

Whats your budget?
Hmmm... I think I'd like to spend around $250. Is that enough to get something worthy? The Polk separates have a good rating on Crutchfield, so I don't wanna sell the speakers short.

Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 AM
InfoAudio01

The 6500 series is one of the cleanist speakers that I have heard! Props to you for your choice!

As far as powering the speakers, definetly choose an amp that has a clean output, (alpine amps are known for their clean power). Also take into consideration that when a speaker is underpowered, the gains on the amp have to be tuned higher then normal to promote the accurate power that the speaker needs. this means, that the speaker will clip/distort more when played at higher volumes. with an amp that is around 100-110 watts rms will not clip when played at that same higher volume as before. if you choose the smaller amp, set the gains matched to your HU's output and play your speakers at a resonable volume without cliping the signal and all should be fine. *note: clipping and distorting a speaker, especially a tweeter will cause damage.

if I had your same setup, i would save alittle extra money and choose an amp adequate to the speakers ratings. remember your system is only as good as your weakest link.

just my two cents.

just my two cents.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by InfoAudio01
The 6500 series is one of the cleanist speakers that I have heard! Props to you for your choice!

As far as powering the speakers, definetly choose an amp that has a clean output, (alpine amps are known for their clean power). Also take into consideration that when a speaker is underpowered, the gains on the amp have to be tuned higher then normal to promote the accurate power that the speaker needs. this means, that the speaker will clip/distort more when played at higher volumes. with an amp that is around 100-110 watts rms will not clip when played at that same higher volume as before. if you choose the smaller amp, set the gains matched to your HU's output and play your speakers at a resonable volume without cliping the signal and all should be fine. *note: clipping and distorting a speaker, especially a tweeter will cause damage.

if I had your same setup, i would save alittle extra money and choose an amp adequate to the speakers ratings. remember your system is only as good as your weakest link.

just my two cents.

just my two cents.
Excellent! Thanks, yo.

100-110 RMS it will be.