Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Yes, another noobie thread.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Dread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another noobie thread.

Hey guys I just got an integra as my first car. I saved some money and was originally going to spend roughly 7000 on the car itself. Well I found a 94 sedan teg for 4k and have around 3k to put into it.

For my budget on the sound system I'd like to just use $500-600 to get me started. So if anyone has any suggestions on good HU (I think thats what their called) and front speakers please dont be shy to post. I've done some searching on the forums and there is much debate on which are better so I'd like to get what would be the best for my price range.

Also, since this is my first car I obviously do not know how to wire anything to everything. Will installation screw me over with the cost or should I just read the guides and install myself?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
b00gers

It really depends on your comfort level on working on your car. Its not hard to wire a headunit. But for some...it can take patience.

For $500-600, you can get a good headunit and front speakers. But before any suggestions, what plans do you have for your system? What features do you need in a headunit? Are you planning on getting an external amp for the front speakers?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
97teg

One of the things you have to remeber is that everyone hears something different and has their own opinion on which sounds better. This is why just about everyone has a different opinion on which speaker is best. Your best bet is to go to a store and have them demo speakers for you. I usally like specialized stores and not best buy as the big box stores tend to have too much other noise to compaire. As long as you think it sounds good dont worry about what people say.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Dread

Thanks for the fast responses! I listen to a wide variety of music. Rock, Hip-Hop, Techno and others. I want to have some good bass for the songs that need it and also want to be able to have techno playing aswell.

Do you think an amp is necessary for my system? Or my budget.

I respect that everyone hears things differently so I will be sure to go listen at stores. I just want to be able to know what's good so I can go there and not be totally oblivious to what they're saying =]
Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
2001TEGGSR

If sound quality is your priority, and you don't care about flashy little visualizations then I would recommend Alpine. There sound is far superior to other decks of the same price range, IMO. If you want a decent sounding deck with a fine balance of all features then I would recommend the Pioneer Premier series.

As for the speakers, first you should decide if you desire the competition quality component sets, or are satisfied with regular aftermarket speakers. I am a fan of the Infinity perfect series. Excellent sound with a mediocre price. Component set's usually require an external amplifier, however.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 PM
97teg

One the same note dont be blinded by flashy chrome or other gimmics when looking for amps/speakers. One brand notorious for this is audiobahn.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Dread

Alright, thanks for the heads up teg. I'm going to go to car toys this weekend and will now have a better understanding on what to get.

thanks everyone!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Dread

Alright, so I have come up with this as a starter.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6800MP - $250 post tax
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6wjvoT...=300&s=0&cc=01

Speakers: Two (You need two of them right? One for each door) Polk db650 - $160 post tax
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6wjvoT...tab=review#Tab

So the total is $410. Do you think I could get a decent amp and sub for another $150 more or wait till I get more paper?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
kiyoshi

speakers come in pairs, so you will only need one pair.

so figuring you would then have 200 (ish), you can certainly find a nice 4 channel amp and run the fronts for the time (channels 1/2), and come in with a subwoofer (bridged to channels 3/4) when you can afford one.

edit: btw, i love those Polk 6.5's. got a pair a while back and they rock

Last edited by kiyoshi; 12-12-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by Dread
Alright, so I have come up with this as a starter.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6800MP - $250 post tax
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6wjvoT...=300&s=0&cc=01

Speakers: Two (You need two of them right? One for each door) Polk db650 - $160 post tax
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6wjvoT...tab=review#Tab

So the total is $410. Do you think I could get a decent amp and sub for another $150 more or wait till I get more paper?
I think Crutchfield marks up there prices tremendously. Use their website to select a stereo, and search for the exact model number elsewhere. You can just type "Pioneer DEH-Pxxxx" into google, and achieve better results. Look here: http://www.bizrate.com/carcdmp3playe...-pid394144131/

That exact same deck for $189. For a sub and amp, you really need to visit a demo to find your desired setup. Every ear enjoys different sounds. Goto best buy or an audio shop, and find one that sounds good. Remember or write down the model number, and research it on the internet. Prices will be much better.

Speakers come in pairs, so with your leftover bills you might find a decent combo. Good luck!