Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Remote wire issues...I think?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:25 PM
wrx-killer
wrx-killer-Sti eater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of fuse are you using for your 4 channel amp. If its the glass type "agu" replace the fuse. These units are known to fail if its a cheap unit. I seen this to many times with this type of fuse holder "cheap units". The fuse will look good but is really blown. Or the fuse is bad and will put 4 volts because of a bad connection inside of its self. High resistance. Next check the ground to the amp. Give me a call or a text if you need futher help. Anytime is fine. Des
Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
dleccord

I didn't really care about the fuse size so I had a 100amp fuse for thr F340.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 PM
wrx-killer
wrx-killer-Sti eater

Originally Posted by dleccord
I didn't really care about the fuse size so I had a 100amp fuse for thr F340.
Fuse size does not matter right now, we have to figure out why its not coming on. agu fuse that are at the battery are know to fail. I don't think he is using a atc fuse at the battery. Most kits come with agu. Most are cheap units. We have to start somewere and go down the line.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM
dleccord

well you can run a 4 gauge from the battery to the amp and a 4 gauge ground from there. see if that works. where did you ground your amps again? oh and dont worry about grounding them two different places.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
wrx-killer
wrx-killer-Sti eater

No he will be fine with the wire that he has allready. We need to check the fuse thats in the holder. Op do you have a muliti-meter?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
dleccord

The wire could be burnt. You cannot test that even with a DMM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

I appreciate the advice, guys. I haven't disappeared, I'm still waiting for it to not be 40 degrees, dark and rainy anymore everytime I get back from class so I can actually get outside and check this out in depth. Hopefully it will stop raining by tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
orbit77

Originally Posted by dleccord
The wire could be burnt. You cannot test that even with a DMM.
yeah you can, test for resistance or test for power at the radio and than at the amp. a dmm is your best friend for an installer
Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
dleccord

You cannot test a bad ground/bad wire with a DMM. Even though resistance tells you otherwise.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 AM
orbit77

if the wire is burnt than the melted wired would increase resistance throughout the whole wire. set your dmm to ohm and grab a strand of wire and put your meter on it it will be around ~0. than add a wire to a ground and than meter it. there will now be resistance like if you grounded out a live wire. if you check any mecp book it'll tell you that you should test with a dmm. depending on how accurate your dmm it'll give you a great start.

also testing power at the hu and than at the amp will help tell you that if the wire is bad or if you messed up your remote wire on your hu.

what is your reasoning that you can't test for a bad ground/wire with a dmm?