Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Box Builders

Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box Builders

I'm working on building a new box for a couple subs I have coming in a few days.

The box will be sealed and 6.5"(d) x 11.5"(h) x 18,75"(w) for .6 cF. It will be holding two eD EU-700 D2s. http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33

Thats not really what I'm wondering about though.
My last box was a bitch to carpet. I had my two parents helping me carpet it and it still was kinda a pain. So I decided to go another way. I'm thinking of painting it grayish to match my carpet, perhaps textured, not sure yet, then spray this clear rubber over it for effect and to keep it from sliding around. Since you would be able to feel the screws and where I puttied over them, I'm going to attempt a screwless build.
I'm going to be short on time, so using only glue will be too hard and will take too long. I had another idea. I would drill holes all the way through the outside board and partway into the other board... drill through this board -> |__ <- and part way into that one, if that makes any sense.
This will give it a cleaner look and it will still be nice and smooth, or atleast thats what I'm hoping.

I just want to get some input or suggestions on this. This is only my second box.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Oh, I was also thinking of perhaps using contact paper to cover it. I used some to recover a fridge and it looks really nice, looks like leather, I'm not sure how it would look on a sub box though.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
meangreen96
Integra Owner No. 122,019

Just counter sink your screws!! Then use some spot repair putty(like for a wall). They have stronger stuff for wood. Then you sand it down when dry. Paint and will be smooth. I built a guitar cabinet like that.

Please be sure to use MDF!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
dleccord

i think its wood putty, iirc. if you're gonnapaint make sure you sand it well, or else the paint gonna go through the sides of the wood.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
meangreen96

Originally Posted by dleccord
i think its wood putty, iirc. if you're gonnapaint make sure you sand it well, or else the paint gonna go through the sides of the wood.
Well actually. Make sure you use a primer after you puddy. Then sand that well. Then paint with a mini roller.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by meangreen96
Just counter sink your screws!! Then use some spot repair putty(like for a wall). They have stronger stuff for wood. Then you sand it down when dry. Paint and will be smooth. I built a guitar cabinet like that.

Please be sure to use MDF!!
I did that on my last box but the putty wasn't satifying. I want to have a nice clean, no touch look, if that makes any sense.
I decided on using some brads(with nail gun) since the hole will be small and hard to see, even before I putty it up. I haven't decided on what I'm going to do to the surface yet. For a while it will just be bare in my trunk, probably until thanksgiving when I'll have time.
I would like to do a piano finish I saw, but I don't have the time for that, or the skills.
I have a 36 x 56 piece of .5 or .75 MDF and a smaller 8x20 piece that I'll be using.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

More pictures on tuesday when I get the subs in.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM
meangreen96

I know this sounds dirty but.......Nice Box!!! I don't see why that wouldn't hold. Your holes look pretty clean, what did you use to cut them??? A reciprocating/jig saw?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Rebelwork
senile

glue/screws or nail,staple/glue will work. For the holes use Bondo not wood filler. Woodfiller shrinks.

Mdf paints better but particle board is a better substrate for boxes.....Jack
Old 09-24-2006, 12:57 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by meangreen96
I know this sounds dirty but.......Nice Box!!! I don't see why that wouldn't hold. Your holes look pretty clean, what did you use to cut them??? A reciprocating/jig saw?
Thanks! My dad and I got a coffee tin to trace the circle then we(Him, I tried but I suck at circles) cut the hole with a handheld jigsaw.
I really want to build another box soon, just for the hell of it. I'm going to try to get my sister to buy an eD EU-700, so I can build her one.