Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

sterio problems

Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
gleety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sterio problems

I installed a aftermarket radio in my 92 accord, everything wired up nicely with the wiring harness, and everything works, but when i shut off the vehicle, the dash clock, and radio settings are reset to zero. the yellow constant power wire is connected, i cant figure out why im losing my settings and the dash clock goes back to 1:00 can someone please help.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:54 PM
b00gers

Where is the yellow wire connected to?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
gleety

it is connected to the yellow wire on the harness
Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
b00gers

Kinda a PITA...but hardwire it to the battery. Just run a small cable from the deck's yellow to the positive on the battery. See if it retains information when you shut the car off.

Also, is the fuse on the wire blown?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 PM
gleety

thanks, ill try that tomorrow, so more than likely, il be back on after i try that. hopefully you are to, thanks again, you'l be hearin from me again im sure.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 PM
coreycooper

Originally Posted by b00gers
Kinda a PITA...but hardwire it to the battery. Just run a small cable from the deck's yellow to the positive on the battery. See if it retains information when you shut the car off.

Also, is the fuse on the wire blown?

no need to run a wire off the battery... BAD IDEA, too buch resistance and amperage will be going through that wire and will cause a fire or melt down sooner or later... tap off a constant that is already in the car the closest one to the head unit will be on the radio harness a white wire with a yellow stripe(radio 12 v constant), but if that is whats not working then you can use the WHITE wire in the ignition harness which is also 12 Volts constant but no matter what you do u must run an inline fuse

Last edited by coreycooper; 09-10-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by coreycooper
no need to run a wire off the battery... BAD IDEA, too buch resistance and amperage will be going through that wire and will cause a fire or melt down sooner or later... if a tap is needed T in off an ignition line to get the power, if u cant find one you can use the battery but use a relay w/ the remote wire as the switch but no matter what you do u must run an inline fuse
Sorry. Maybe I should be more clear.

I didnt mean to make that permanent. Just run that wire to the battery to see if the problem lies in the harness. If it works, then you know the problem is the yellow wire in the harness. If it still resets after you shut it off, then you can bet the problem is elseware. Its just part of isolating the causes....nothing meant to be permanent.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the switched(remote) power is wired in place of the constant power..... explains with the radio has power while the car is on and no power at all when the radio is off. :dunno:
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
coreycooper

Originally Posted by Jani
maybe the switched(remote) power is wired in place of the constant power..... explains with the radio has power while the car is on and no power at all when the radio is off. :dunno:
very good possibility... use a test light to chek, just see if its always lit up or just wen the ignition is on