Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

DIY: Motion sensor install on Viper791xv

Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Motion sensor install on Viper791xv

Now, this will most likely work with the rest of the viper line so long as they have shock sensor outputs. As with the rest of the DIY's posted here, I take no responsibilty for your mistakes. If you don't feel up to the task, don't do it!!.

First off, Locate your shock sensor. This step shouldn't be hard, if you start tapping around you'll see it light up. Trace that back to the brain and unplug and completely remove it. This is where the cutting and splicing begins. I've made a diagram, I couldn't take pictures while I was doing it.

I can't stress enough to make sure you leave enough wire for yourself to run everything. It's OK to have extra wire, but you don't want to be stuck with too little. I think I only cut maybe three inches from my motion sensor harness. And also take note that the plugs are different on the motion sensor harness, so double check before you start cutting.The best place for your motion sensor will be under your center console/armrest. I'm not going to go into the callibration on the motion sensor, the provided instructions are plenty detailed.

Now to remount the shock sensor, there are two ways to do it. The first is to mount to a flat metal surface, by dong this you will be losing some sensitivity. The second is to a loom of factory wire hanress, and believe me it will be sensitive. I did mine the first way, I don't want a ton of false alarms. And again, the motion sensor goes under your center console/armrest and then adjust as necessary. Thats pretty much it, this took me all of 30-40 minutes to accomplish and callibrate to my liking. Enjoy.

PS: I've been trying to post this in the DIY forum with no luck, I just wont actually post the thread.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

Hey. How much did you get your Viper system for and how much?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

If I would have paid retail I would be up in the mid $700 range for all the stuff I have added on and the install. But working at Best Buy has it advantages, so I didn't spend anywhere near that.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
If I would have paid retail I would be up in the mid $700 range for all the stuff I have added on and the install. But working at Best Buy has it advantages, so I didn't spend anywhere near that.
I'm sorry. I just noticed I said how much twice. I meant to say where can I find a reliable one. I don't think Best Buy sells it though, I checked online and I didn't find it.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Do you have a specific alarm in mind. Best Buy has a pretty good selection of Viper alarms from basic keyless to the 791xv like mine. All of our prices are installed as well.

PS: We don't sell alarms online.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
ewood87
Eric Wood

most of what best buy charges is the install (i know, i work there as well), the actual viper 791xv alarm is about $175 retail. same goes for the sensors. i got my 791xv + motion sensor, backup battery and inside siren for $215 and i installed it all myself in about 2 hours.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Im just getting into learning alarms. I'm pretty confident I could do one on my car(6th Gen Accord), but I want to move to the bay full time and really learn em.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

A word of advice though, be gentle with the remote. Im on my 3rd remote for my 791xv.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 AM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

I went to Best Buy and the 771xv alarm comes out to $600 with installation. They don't have the 791xv. Anyways, I talked to the guy who installs the security systems and he said that Best Buy wont do it on manual transmission cars . He was pretty kool though. I asked if I could sign a disclaimer or something, but he said its been done before and businesses have still been taken to court and lost. So they wont do it, even with the disclaimer. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

All I can tell you is I have remote start on my 5spd and I never use it. I thought I HAD to have it, but you'll quickly realize it's not worth it. I actually removed my bypass. The one time you forget to leave it in neutral will make you not want it. Take it from me, i've actually remote started my car into a wall. Luckily, the e-brake was up and it didn't hit hard, but it left me with some serious compounding and polishing duties. Just let Best Buy do it and leave the remote start out. You'll thank me later.