Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Need input on factory unit with amp

Old 02-26-2006, 05:52 PM
sammy607

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on factory unit with amp

I currently have my factory cd player hooked up to an amp. It plays AM/FM radio normally. However when it comes to playing a cd, sound won't come out unless I switch this button on. The thing is when with that button on and i'm listening to AM/FM radio, the radio stays on even with the key out of the ignition. Can anyone tell me what that button does and what I can do to take solve of this problem?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

what button? you need to be more descriptive, i don't think we have any idea what you're talking about. sounds like you have something wired incorrectly...
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
sammy607

When I bought the car, the system was prewired to the amp but no unit. I added the factory unit and had this guy at the shop tap into the wires to for RCA inputs. When it was done, everything worked normally except the cd player. The cd was playing but no sound was coming out so he added another switch. So everytime i wanted to listen to the cd player, i had to turn that switch on. The problem is sometimes when i forget to turn to switch off while listening to the radio, the radio won't turn off even when i turn my car off. Is there a way i can have the cd player working normally without that switch so the radio turns off when i turn my car off?

Last edited by sammy607; 02-26-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

so are you telling me you have 2 headunits?! who is this guy you took it to anyway? your setup doesn't make any sense to me. do you have a factory tapedeck, with a seperate cd player? did that guy wire the cd player directly to the amp, instead of to the headunit? there's a very simple way to set your system up, and this isn't it!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 PM
sammy607

I only have 1 unit in the car. That's the double DIN cd player(check link at the end) that comes with 98-02 accords. The guy at the shop installed 2 adapters to add 4 RCA inputs. The amp in my car is a 4 channel amp. I'm not sure why the radio works normally but not the cd player. Doesn't the sound come from the same unit? I'm not sure where the switch connects to. If anyone knows anything about this feel free to explain it to me.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/0b/71/69_1_b.JPG

Last edited by sammy607; 02-26-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

4 INPUTS or 4 OUTPUTS? the sound should all come from the same place. if your guy is installing swtiches that you have no flip, you're doing something seriously wrong. all you should have to do is run one RCA out from the deck, into the amp, than the amp powers all 4 speakers, and the stereo should function as normally. i don't know what all this other garbage that this dude set up is. i would advise you to take this to a real car audio shop and have them sort this all out. you may want to go to circuit city or best buy, just because they are a big chain and can be held accountable for making this work.

this is how it's supposed to be

Old 02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

then all 4 speakers run off the amp. this guy you're working with sounds ass-backwards
Old 02-26-2006, 11:34 PM
sammy607

that's setup is normally done with aftermarket units that have preout RCA outputs. The factory unit from Honda however doesn't have those outputs so he did something different with the wires which i'm clueless myself. Nevertheless, I'm going to bring the unit to another audio place and consult them about my situation. I appreciate the information provided. THanks
Old 02-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Phateless
S2K compatible

the only thing you have to do differently is some of the speaker wires go into the amp instead of rcas. usually the wires for the rear speakers. glad to help, hope you get everything sorted out.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 PM
sammy607

I found out that when you hook the factory unit with an amp, there's no 'remote' signal to go to the amp so it's tapped from the antenna. The problem is when i listen to the cd player, there's no power coming from the antenna because it's not used. As a result the cd player is playing but the amp is not on. That's why the guy at the shop added a switch to turn on the amp when i listen to the cd player. So is there another way to get the amp to turn on when my radio turns on without using that switch. I don't mind using the switch but when it keeps the radio on after my car is turned off, i might 4get about it one day and leave the radio on all night. So does anyone know how to make my system work without using that button.