Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

More Jl Help!!!

Old 09-17-2002, 09:55 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just as an update...I made some calls, and I get conflicting information about the alternator ouput rating on a Passport....it's somewhere between 90 and 130, and a Civic Si is between 55 and 75....either way it doesn't matter, because I don't think the two are interchangable at all....another excellent planning maneuver by Honda :rollseyes:

GTI/Jetta owners are so lucky....120A from the factory
Old 09-17-2002, 04:23 PM
seth90dx

Were can I find a 2000 odysey alternator? And will this thing fit in my car? Or will I need a custom mounting bracket?
Old 09-17-2002, 05:55 PM
rcurley55

I think that you are out of luck on the odyssey alternator idea....go to termpro.com and check out their forums....there is a guy by the name of dominic (or soemthing like that) that builds great alternators.....I was talking to one guy today who has a dual setup on his GSR.....300A!!!

Go to the electronics section of the forum and do some looking, you willl see what I'm talking about....seems like a much better alternative to the odyssey setup.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:56 PM
seth90dx

Ya I already saw that! But were does this guy live? I want to install it myself! Im a mechanic in traning... AKA goin to colledge!
I dont want to pay his ass for work I can do myself, and he probabaly wont do as a good job! But I want one of his alternators and brackets!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:01 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by seth90dx
Ya I already saw that! But were does this guy live? I want to install it myself! Im a mechanic in traning... AKA goin to colledge!
I dont want to pay his ass for work I can do myself, and he probabaly wont do as a good job! But I want one of his alternators and brackets!
From the reviews I have read, there are nothing but satisfied customers, and this includes some of the upper IASCA class people....I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of his product.

From what I understand, tell him your car, how many amps you want, and you get a package in the mail.

I have no clue where he is though, but he's helping people all over the place....let's keep this thread going and see what happens.

In response to Ricer Ray:

A capacitor is simply a bandaid to the problem....the alternator is the only part of your car that creates current, the battery, a capacitor, or even a batcap just store this power. Now a cap charges so quickly that it really won't be seen as a load to your charging system. The problem is that if you demand more amperage then you can create, you are always playing "catch-up" If you spend a few 100 on an alternator, you will have no need for a capacitor...basically it's doing it the right way the first time around.

It's kinda like trying to fight a small fire with two scenarios:

1. a small hose that provides a gallon a minute of flow, but you have a few buckets that you can fill then toss on as well.

OR

2. a large hose that provides 5 gallons of water a minute.....

which would you rather have if it was your house on fire. I know that's an oversimplified example, but you get the point.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
seth90dx

Well mostly correct... But the capacitor will still help put power to the subs! >>>>My question is<<<<Rockford says thier capacitor puts up to twice the wats going into the subs...WTF? How is this possible? Even if you have a 5ferid power cap on a 500/1 JL I dont see how its gonna MAKE the amp push more power. The 500/1 JL amp has a 950 wat peek, if the cap makes the amp push this all the time..... BYE BYE AMP! I think its just a company bull****ing to sell a product for more than the other guys, but its the exact same product!
Old 09-18-2002, 06:17 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by seth90dx
Well mostly correct... But the capacitor will still help put power to the subs! >>>>My question is<<<<Rockford says thier capacitor puts up to twice the wats going into the subs...WTF? How is this possible? Even if you have a 5ferid power cap on a 500/1 JL I dont see how its gonna MAKE the amp push more power. The 500/1 JL amp has a 950 wat peek, if the cap makes the amp push this all the time..... BYE BYE AMP! I think its just a company bull****ing to sell a product for more than the other guys, but its the exact same product!
No, I think that's all correct...

Let's get a few things straight here.....the cap isn't connected to the subs, therefore it does nothing to "power" the subs.....

One more thing, capacitance is measured in units of farads...not ferides - - just clearing that up.

Your amplifier in particular will make the same amount of power to any load between 1.5 and 4 ohms. It also makes the same power at any input voltage between 11.5 and 15V.

Your stock system won't exceed 14.4V with or without a capacitor. Even with an HO alternator, you still won't exceed 14.4V.

An amp running at full bore for sustained periods only happens during sine waves and burps....during music, rarely will you have sustained maximum output from your amplifier.

Remember, the cap doesn't "make" the amp do anything....all the amp sees is voltage. Even if you have 1billion farads of capacitance in line with your amp, it will still see 14V of input....a cap won't magically make your amp output more power.

RF is full of ****....the only thing that a capacitor is designed (or advertised) to do is stabilize the input voltage for your amplifier. In essence what it helps to do is make sure you lights don't dim. A capacitor will do nothing to make your system sound better IMO.

Another little secret...most caps are just rebadged versions of the same thing.....for the most part, a cap is a cap is a cap. Some have different advertised ESR's, etc...but for the most part buy one because it looks pretty and matches your eyes.

As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of caps...I would rather fix the problem by creating more of what you need instead of trying to constantly store some in reserve.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:28 PM
seth90dx

Caps are a good thing to have... But like you said it doesnt fix the problem! the problem is the alternator, and how much it can/cannot put out~
Old 09-21-2002, 04:11 PM
08SnakeEyes08
Vince Tran....

ur kinda off. caps do help. saying all caps are the same is just plain retarded. lets take a pyramid 1 farad cap vs a phoenix gold 1 farad cap. the pyramid cap 1 farad probably covers 200 watts. the pg cap = 1000 watts.

i got 800 watts in my car right now at 2ohms. my car dimmed a bit. i dropped in a yellow top optima and fixed the problem. i still got my stock del sol alternator and not gonna upgrade it til i get another sub. i think all u need is a deep cycle battery and ur set. get a cap. alternators are nice but i'd rather have the battery.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:44 PM
seth90dx

Hmm... Well thanks for your sugstion... Im gonna get a deep cell and run it in parallel to my stock batery. Ive already got a rockford fosgate CAP, so Im gonna go ahead with that and see what happens. Hey if I dont need to upgrade my alternator, Im not gonna waist my money.

Quick Reply: More Jl Help!!!