Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

laptop fan question

Old 09-14-2002, 09:19 AM
j-speed racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop fan question

i have a year old top model hewlett packard laptop. recently i've been having problems with it getting hot and shutting down. is this something thats just going to happen or does that mean the fan isnt working right or well enough? recently i've started proping it up a little and it still gets hot but doesnt shut down. any advice, suggestions? should i take it back to best buy to get checked out or is this a typical occurance. i was downloading songs alot of the times it happened.

thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 07:12 PM
b00gers

if it has a warrenty, take it back.

i dont know too much about where the fans are in the laptop....does the shut down only happen when its hot?
Old 09-14-2002, 07:45 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you may have dust built up inside... hampering air flow... making it get too hot and shut down... if you can figure out how to get it apart... do so and blow the dust out with a can of air.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:23 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
you may have dust built up inside... hampering air flow... making it get too hot and shut down... if you can figure out how to get it apart... do so and blow the dust out with a can of air.
try getting a real fan and blow onto the laptop and see if that helps. if it does.. you may need to clean it..
laptops are usually easy to take apart... just take your time and get compressed air
Old 09-18-2002, 05:06 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

**** testing it, thats why its doing it.

HPs clog with dust and shut down.

its abou t80 little screws, just take some time at work and pick it apart, get some compressed air and go to town. WD40 up the fans too.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:35 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

HP...since Carly Fiorina took over has gone to crap...but that is another story.

This is a common problem with laptops. There is a current lawsuit against I think Toshiba for this same problem. Bring it back to the place you bought it or contact HP online about the issue. In addition try placing a small book under the back edge of the laptop so that airflows underneath it. Also try not to keep it on wood as it does not conduct energy well and the heat builds up in the laptop.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by DVPGSR
HP...since Carly Fiorina took over has gone to crap...but that is another story.
you know how many times i heard that EXACT quote? eerie.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:39 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi

you know how many times i heard that EXACT quote? eerie.
I will never buy another HP product...CF was bad enough then they had to go merge with Compaq. Bad idea.

Dude I'm sticking with Dell!
Old 09-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

I used to work for HP, good products.

most colours of any consumer printer on the market.

and compaq has always made GOOD, CHEAP products. I hope that rubs off on HP who makes GOOD, EXPENSIVE products.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:46 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

If you don't mind me asking fuji what did you do at HP?

HP makes some great products...particularily in printing which is all we use at work. CF was a bad choice from them, she is moving the company away from what it was. As for Compaq I have only heard horror stories from people that buy their products from the quality to the support. I hope that part of Compaq is left behind, unfortunately that may not be the case.

Quick Reply: laptop fan question