Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   laptop fan question (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/21958-laptop-fan-question.html)

j-speed racer 09-14-2002 09:19 AM

laptop fan question

i have a year old top model hewlett packard laptop. recently i've been having problems with it getting hot and shutting down. is this something thats just going to happen or does that mean the fan isnt working right or well enough? recently i've started proping it up a little and it still gets hot but doesnt shut down. any advice, suggestions? should i take it back to best buy to get checked out or is this a typical occurance. i was downloading songs alot of the times it happened.

thanks

b00gers 09-14-2002 07:12 PM

if it has a warrenty, take it back.

i dont know too much about where the fans are in the laptop....does the shut down only happen when its hot?

SumAccordGuy94 09-14-2002 07:45 PM

you may have dust built up inside... hampering air flow... making it get too hot and shut down... if you can figure out how to get it apart... do so and blow the dust out with a can of air.

igo4bmx 09-18-2002 04:23 AM

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
you may have dust built up inside... hampering air flow... making it get too hot and shut down... if you can figure out how to get it apart... do so and blow the dust out with a can of air.
try getting a real fan and blow onto the laptop and see if that helps. if it does.. you may need to clean it..
laptops are usually easy to take apart... just take your time and get compressed air

Fujiwara Takumi 09-18-2002 05:06 PM

**** testing it, thats why its doing it.

HPs clog with dust and shut down.

its abou t80 little screws, just take some time at work and pick it apart, get some compressed air and go to town. WD40 up the fans too.

DVPGSR 09-19-2002 05:35 PM

HP...since Carly Fiorina took over has gone to crap...but that is another story.

This is a common problem with laptops. There is a current lawsuit against I think Toshiba for this same problem. Bring it back to the place you bought it or contact HP online about the issue. In addition try placing a small book under the back edge of the laptop so that airflows underneath it. Also try not to keep it on wood as it does not conduct energy well and the heat builds up in the laptop.

Fujiwara Takumi 09-19-2002 05:37 PM

Originally posted by DVPGSR
HP...since Carly Fiorina took over has gone to crap...but that is another story.

you know how many times i heard that EXACT quote? eerie.

DVPGSR 09-19-2002 05:39 PM

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi

you know how many times i heard that EXACT quote? eerie.

I will never buy another HP product...CF was bad enough then they had to go merge with Compaq. Bad idea.

Dude I'm sticking with Dell!

Fujiwara Takumi 09-19-2002 05:43 PM

I used to work for HP, good products.

most colours of any consumer printer on the market.

and compaq has always made GOOD, CHEAP products. I hope that rubs off on HP who makes GOOD, EXPENSIVE products.

DVPGSR 09-19-2002 05:46 PM

If you don't mind me asking fuji what did you do at HP?

HP makes some great products...particularily in printing which is all we use at work. CF was a bad choice from them, she is moving the company away from what it was. As for Compaq I have only heard horror stories from people that buy their products from the quality to the support. I hope that part of Compaq is left behind, unfortunately that may not be the case.