Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What amp specifications for these speakers?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
shady visions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amp specifications for these speakers?

Direct Link to speakers:
Infinity Speakers

Info:
Peak power handling (watts)
RMS power handling (Watts)
Sensitivity (dB)

Subwoofer size
12"
Dual voice coil
No

I don't understand the whole "peak power handling" being 1000, and the RMS being 300. Does the lowercase w in watts and uppercase W in Watts make a difference? Also, how many Ohms should I look for? Anyways, what wattage amp should I get that would give me the full power-potential out of these speakers? And how should I do it? Bridged or no? Thanks. I'm new to the whole speaker-set up, so I don't know any of the terms or what a lot of it means.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
b00gers

Peak numbers mean nothing. Just look at the RMS ratings. That captial W is probably a typo.

As for what OHM you want, that depends on how many speakers you are running and to what amp. As for wattage, a good clean 300 watts would be perfect. As for bridging, it depends on the amp.

Feel free to look at the FAQ up top, there is a lot of information in there.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
shady visions

Well, I just picked them up today, and they are Dual 4-OHM voice Coil Over. I will be running 2 speakers, probably off of one two-channel amp. I will try and match up the 300RMS for each speaker, so I guess I will be looking for an amp that can put out 300RMS @ 4OHM x 2channels?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by shady visions
Well, I just picked them up today, and they are Dual 4-OHM voice Coil Over. I will be running 2 speakers, probably off of one two-channel amp. I will try and match up the 300RMS for each speaker, so I guess I will be looking for an amp that can put out 300RMS @ 4OHM x 2channels?

You probably have another set. Those in the link are not DVCs. Anyway, if they are 4OHM DVC and you have a pair...you can do the following.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=33&cur=USD

Elemental Design nine.2x
RMS Power @ 12.5v :2 x 300 @2Ohm, 1 x 600@4Ohm

You can bridge that amp and wire each subwoofer in parallel making each subwoofer 2 OHM. Then take the pair and wire them together in series to get 4 OHMs. That will get you 600w x 1 @ 4OHM. And that amp is slightly underrated from what I have seen. So the subs will be happy.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
shady visions

Originally Posted by b00gers
You probably have another set. Those in the link are not DVCs. Anyway, if they are 4OHM DVC and you have a pair...you can do the following.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=33&cur=USD

Elemental Design nine.2x
RMS Power @ 12.5v :2 x 300 @2Ohm, 1 x 600@4Ohm

You can bridge that amp and wire each subwoofer in parallel making each subwoofer 2 OHM. Then take the pair and wire them together in series to get 4 OHMs. That will get you 600w x 1 @ 4OHM. And that amp is slightly underrated from what I have seen. So the subs will be happy.
Yeah, I know the ones in the link are not DVCs, but the ones I have at my house right now (1242W Infinity) are rated at 1200 peak power, 300 rms, and DVC @ 4 OHM. Says it in the specs book, as well as on the outside of the box.

Anyways, I was reading some wiring diagrams, and I was wondering which OHMs were better? Higher or lower? (2, 4, or 8?)
Old 12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by shady visions
Yeah, I know the ones in the link are not DVCs, but the ones I have at my house right now (1242W Infinity) are rated at 1200 peak power, 300 rms, and DVC @ 4 OHM. Says it in the specs book, as well as on the outside of the box.

Anyways, I was reading some wiring diagrams, and I was wondering which OHMs were better? Higher or lower? (2, 4, or 8?)
Generally speaking, neither. You just have to pair the speakers up correctly to the amp with the rated impedance (OHMs). But an amp produces more power at lower OHMs, which then generates more heat. And I believe there is a sound quality difference that is very minimal in terms of car audio (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Its next to nothing if any at all. I've never been able to hear any difference.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:08 AM
shady visions

Does anyone else know of an amp that can produce:

RMS Power @ 12.5v :2 x 300 @2Ohm

Preferrably cheaper than the EDesign one?