Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

NO SOUND whatsoever

Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SOUND whatsoever

so i hooked my subs up, ran all the wires...i left the rca's, the remote wire, and the power wire unhooked because my cd player had not been installed. so i went to get the cd player professionally installed (the car has an internal amp that needed to be bypassed) and they plugged up the rca's and the remote wire while they were back there. the cd player worked fine and music came from all speakers...still no subs. so now it is time to hook up my power wire to power the subs...i put the fuse and fuse holder in line and hooked the power wire to the battery. so i think thats it and im about to hear my new subs...NOPE. not only are they not working but now there is no sound through my factory speakers either. the cd player is working. i checked the cars audio fuse and the in line fuse...both are fine. the power light on the amp is not on. what the hell is up? so i unhook the power cord so at least maybe i can have my factory speakers workin again...NOPE. still no sound. someone please help me!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM
VPUPPY

Sounds like something is wrong with your wiring. Did you disconnect the RCA cables running to the amp? If not, unplug them and see if you get sound from the inside speakers.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

the power wire is not even connected to the car at this time. but when it was the light on the amp wasnt on. so no power was goin through it. the point is that it quit workin when i simply connected the wire at the battery. and know that i have even disconnected it, it still wont work.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

The last time I had a headunit professionally installed they connected the remote turn-on lead to one of the front speaker leads, and after fixing it, cited that it was a common mistake because "both wires are similar shades of blue."
So because of that possibility, I'd check out the wiring behind the head unit, because my guess is that your amp is not even getting a turn-on signal. If something is mis-wired there, then you are going to want to check the head unit and amp fuses as well (I couldn't tell if you said you did that already). Hopefully something there works out for you, good luck
Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 AM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

the power wire is not connected to the battery which means the amp is not even connected...what scares me is the factory speakers arent working anymore. but they were when i left the shop...connecting the power wire and shouldnt have made them cut off.....i know i mentioned that the car had an internal amp (its not my accord, its my g20)...could this have anything to do with what happened.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:52 PM
VPUPPY

Did you disconnect the RCA cables(I asked before but you did not respond)?Did the car have a Bose system? Or was it the factory Nissan amp? Was the amp bypassed(all speakers wired directly)? What is the manufacturer of the cd player? Some manufacturers have a 'safety' mode that cuts the amp off if a short is detected. I think dave97lx could be right about them hooking the wrong wire up to the remote turn on. I say you disconnect the amp from the car(all the wires off it and taped up) and go from there. Worst case is the the internal amp in the cd player is blown.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:47 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

didnt think there was a need to disconnect the rcas since it wasnt hooked up to the battery and it was working with them hooked up before.
yes it is a bose.
the amp was bypassed professionally.
Panasonic
i really hope its not blown. if so the cd player is useless.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
VPUPPY

See, a pinch or a short in the RCA cable could cause the internal amp to shut off as a protect for the whole cd player. If they are plugged into the amp you were trying to get to work and there is a internal problem with that amp. You have the possibility of the RCA cable being shorted by the amp, despite the fact the power wire is not hooked up, because the ground wire is still grounding that amp.

If I were you I would start by disconnecting the RCA cable and remote wire from the amp(put electrical tape on the bare wire). Then reset the radio by pulling the radio fuse. I have seen Panasonic radios with reset buttons before so you may have one. If the radio does not give any sound to the inside speakers at this point you still have the possibility of a wiring issue with the speaker wires. If any of the wires came loose and are now grounding(ie touching the cars body or + and - wires touching), it would cause the amp to stop working until that short is fixed. So check all the speakers for loose connections and maybe have the shop check their work. Loose connections can cause this same issue. Also if you speakers are old and are damaged internally, they can cause a short and as a result cause the internal amp in the radio to turn off. These are all the possibilities I can think of so if your willing to check this stuff you might find your problem. As for the radio, if you bought the radio new you still have warranty so look into that possibility.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
slade311
milk-n-cookies

unplugged the rcas and the remote wire...pulled the cars audio fuse. waited. put it back in. no sound through the factory speakers still. as far as something coming a loose or grounding out the shop will have to check that on monday...but i highly doubt it since they quit as soon as the power wire was attached to the battery. no warranty on the cd player...bought it used. only got to hear it for about 30 minutes...the time it took me to get from the shop back home and connect the power wire. this is really frustrating vpuppy and i appreciate all your help. dont give up on it. please keep checkin this thread.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
VPUPPY

Ya, I would be upset also. At this point I think your left with either a speaker wire problem or the amp in the radio went bad. Keep us posted on what happens.