Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Positive - Negative is a big deal

Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
MPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive - Negative is a big deal

I always figured that it doesn't matter what way the speaker wire connects to the terminals on speakers, especially subs. Well today I learned that the subs move, but produce some, if any bass at all when the positive wire is connected to the negative terminal and vice versa. Now I know.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:32 PM
b00gers

That shouldnt happened. If you have two subs, one connected properly and the other connected backwards, they will just play out of phase from each other. :thinking:
Old 11-26-2005, 06:37 PM
MPerson

For realz y0!

I always thought that what should happen is; When corrected normally, during a beat, if the sub starts with bumping outward, if they're reversed it would start bumping inward.

Well go try it yourself, doesn't harm your subs I presume, so don't hold me to it. But that's the first thing I checked, to see if the wires were on the right terminal, switched them, and I had much more bass...
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

What kind of amp do you have??? The only time I've seen a sub do that was when my buddy tried to duct tape the ground wire to his amp because the ground terminal on the amp was bad. Were the subs moving in any sort of rhythm?? Because what you said in some ways describes out-of-phase playback. Your getting excursion but the bass is patchy and localized.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:49 PM
MPerson

Ya thats what happened ^^

There was plenty of excursion. It looked like they were fine by the way they were excursing (word?), but the bass was not there. And ALL I did was switch the speaker wires from the amp on the enclosure's terminals.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Yup, out-of-phase.