Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Speaker Question

Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Guri12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Question

Soon I'm trading from a 87 Crown Victoria LTD into a 4 door 91 Accord DX (stock everything). When I transfer cars I want to take the 4 speakers and head unit system and have them in addition to the existing speaker set in the Accord. I'm going to keep the stock door speakers, put the 2 6"X 9" rear speakers in the trunk. My question is whether the rear doors (both passenger and driver) can be modified to accommodate 6-1/2" speakers or not.

I'm completely new to the Accord and haven't seen the car up close (it's in another state), so I've only seen the rear doors through pictures and wanted to clarify whether or not it was possible.

- James
Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 PM
sina518
2draccord

im sure the 6 1/2 will drop right in the doors if not all u need is plates go to a audio shop and ask for them to build u plates or if they have any pre made ones but im sure it will drop right in. go to crutchfield.com and go to what fits my car and type in the car info and it tells you
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 PM
b00gers

I do not believe that the rear doors take speakers. I have not personally taken one apart, but I am sure you can customize something in there easily. All you need is something to cut the sheet metal.

Now, as for whether or not you should do it. Why do you want so many speakers. A 4 speaker system can get loud enough for people sitting in the car. And also remember the more speakers you have, the harder it will be to image them correctly. If I were you, I would spend the time, money, and effort into the set of speakers in the front and then the 6x9s that can do in the back.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

Believe me, there is no part of the stock stereo in a 91 Accord that you want to keep, including the front speakers. Replace them with some other 6.5s, especially if you already have them! There might be some depth issues in the doors, but nothing some MDF and some cutting can't take care of.

The stock speakers are connected with a wiring clip, which needs to be cut off, and there is zero extra length in the wire, so you're going to have to either attach some new wire or, if you're running an amp, just run all new wire.

Dan
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
orbit77

i wouldn't cut the factory speaker harnesses but rather just buy speaker harnesses instead and make it a whole lot less pain all together. unless your gonna go with component and go full active, then i wouldn't rewire it all.

also yeah the fronts are 6 1/2's
Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Guri12

Thanks for the replys. As I said I'm totally new to the Accord and haven't had as much experience with it as the Crown Vic. (driving that since '98, and still going for now)

My primary goal is to use the speakers and the system as I only got this newer set 2 years ago and it seems pointless to let them go to waste when I switch cars. I'm not wanting to overdo it with 6, and I would be fine with the 4 units that I have plus the transferred head unit. Thank you for the information.

- James
Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Nirvanaspartan

Originally Posted by Ludemandan
Believe me, there is no part of the stock stereo in a 91 Accord that you want to keep, including the front speakers.

Dan
Tell me about when i pulled the rear and the front speakers out when i first got my mean 91 machine both rear speakers paper cones just flaked out in little paper bits:ugh: . It looked like i was pouring a box of corn flakes into a bowl :eek4: when i shook them and the front speaker horrible . But yeah you are thinking of getting front speakers get some to where if they are 3 way or 4 ways that the tower holding the tweeters arent sticking out much because when you pop the door panel in it will mess up the tweeters on the speakers. And another thing if you want to upgrade the rear speakers get the 1993 6x9's speaker mounts they will fit on the 91 chasis like a glove with the pre drilled holes they have and it will look like oem speakers with the covers so you dont have to worry about people looking for free speakers.:madr:
Old 12-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Guri12

Are those easily acquired either through a dealership parts center, salvage yard or though aftermarket places? or would E-bay be better?