Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

The most popular question... Subs/Box ?

Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert came back and cleaned up!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
AceMc03

Originally Posted by rcurley55
There is so much mis-information on this threat it HURTS

no no and no - 15's can sound just as good or "tight" as 10's - this is a total misunderstanding and myth in car audio.

The wavelength you play is determined by the source - not the driver. A 10 or a 15 playing the same audio signal will play the same frequence, hence the same wavelength!!!!

300W is plenty for one sub.....or even a pair - ask me how I know
So many things pointed out in your multiple replies... and to think I was almost to a conclusion and about to make a purchase. Now you got me all thinking it over again :run:

So, what would you recommend given what I'd like to have, and my current selection of amps to power it. In your final post you said 2xIDv3's D2's , or a single IDQ12 d2...10's... 12's... ahhhh too many choices... and you sure I'd want D2's if I went with 2x and not D4's? Somebody just make a decision for me, I'm getting all confused and just want some 'supplemental' bass in my car. And I want it soooooooon. lol.

Maybe I'm just all confused now as to what is a myth and what is the truth. So much mis-information out there on the vast internet as to car audio. The "beliefs" I had was that the size of the woofer (10, 12, 15, etc) had an effect on how sharp the bass was. As in a 10" would hit sharper/more accurately than a 15", but a 15" could be louder and hit the lower frequencies better. So for the double bass kicks and my flavor of music, I thought 2x10" would be best.

The only big concern with the ID subs are the frequencies listed on those specs are only 10-150 Hz, whereas the kicker handled 25-500 Hz. Don't know quite the spectrum of what I want to really hear is in, but I don't think it's in the really low frequences as much as it'd be near the higher ones. But maybe I'm just wrong again -- wouldn't suprise me
Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by AceMc03
So many things pointed out in your multiple replies... and to think I was almost to a conclusion and about to make a purchase. Now you got me all thinking it over again :run:

So, what would you recommend given what I'd like to have, and my current selection of amps to power it. In your final post you said 2xIDv3's D2's , or a single IDQ12 d2...10's... 12's... ahhhh too many choices... and you sure I'd want D2's if I went with 2x and not D4's? Somebody just make a decision for me, I'm getting all confused and just want some 'supplemental' bass in my car. And I want it soooooooon. lol.

Maybe I'm just all confused now as to what is a myth and what is the truth. So much mis-information out there on the vast internet as to car audio. The "beliefs" I had was that the size of the woofer (10, 12, 15, etc) had an effect on how sharp the bass was. As in a 10" would hit sharper/more accurately than a 15", but a 15" could be louder and hit the lower frequencies better. So for the double bass kicks and my flavor of music, I thought 2x10" would be best.

The only big concern with the ID subs are the frequencies listed on those specs are only 10-150 Hz, whereas the kicker handled 25-500 Hz. Don't know quite the spectrum of what I want to really hear is in, but I don't think it's in the really low frequences as much as it'd be near the higher ones. But maybe I'm just wrong again -- wouldn't suprise me

Umm. If you are using that 3002 amp. Buy this. Image Dynamics IDv3 D2. You want a D2, because you want a final impedance of 4 OHM, which can be had from wiring the D2 in series. You want only 1 sub, because it looks like that is all you can afford to power. As for what size woofer you want to get...I'll leave it for someone else to answer. h:

10"...12"...15"...blah blah. A bigger factor in how your woofer will sound is the ENCLOSURE!!!!!!!!!! You can make a 15" woofer throw out beats as fast as a 10"....its in the building of the enclosure.

As for frequencies...who is going to want a subwoofer playing the 500hz notes? Subwoofers are meant to play the lower notes, which is sub 80hz for most people.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 PM
AceMc03

welp, I'm not that enclined with my carpentry skills, so I was looking at buying a pre-built box. I can build basic things, as far as tables, cabinets, desks and stuff that will get by for general college life, but building a sealed, strong box that's oh so perfect for a sub is beyond my abilities. as well as beyond the scope of the tools i own I was thinking one of the Q-Logic Small Sealed enclosures...

now, the IDv3 D2 .. recommended power is only 250W RMS\500W Peak, is that going to be a problem being that the 3002 is a 300W RMS\600W Peak...

and re:frequencies, like I said -- I don't know what frequency matches to what sounds. which was why i just thought i'd double check.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 PM
b00gers

welp, I'm not that enclined with my carpentry skills, so I was looking at buying a pre-built box. I can build basic things, as far as tables, cabinets, desks and stuff that will get by for general college life, but building a sealed, strong box that's oh so perfect for a sub is beyond my abilities. as well as beyond the scope of the tools i own I was thinking one of the Q-Logic Small Sealed enclosures...

now, the IDv3 D2 .. recommended power is only 250W RMS\500W Peak, is that going to be a problem being that the 3002 is a 300W RMS\600W Peak...

and re:frequencies, like I said -- I don't know what frequency matches to what sounds. which was why i just thought i'd double check.

-Pay someone to build you a custom box. Itll cost about $20-30 more than the Q-Logic boxes. Need help with a design, post about it.

-Rated for 250w...itll do 300w with no problems. Learn how to set the gains on the amp.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
AceMc03

Originally Posted by b00gers
-Pay someone to build you a custom box. Itll cost about $20-30 more than the Q-Logic boxes. Need help with a design, post about it.

-Rated for 250w...itll do 300w with no problems. Learn how to set the gains on the amp.
I reckon I can manage to learn how to set the gains properly on the amp.

Who would like to help me design and build a custom box then -- I surely don't know of anybody in my area personally (Raleigh, NC) that has the tools/know-how to build a box.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
b00gers

I reckon I can manage to learn how to set the gains properly on the amp.

Who would like to help me design and build a custom box then -- I surely don't know of anybody in my area personally (Raleigh, NC) that has the tools/know-how to build a box.

Some shops can build a box for you. You tell them how much space you have and how big the box to be, and they build it for you. I paid $120 for my vented box to be built.