Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amps

Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol161
ever ran an alpine type r sub? or components? it's be a hellofalot more practical IMO to run two seperate amps.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that. If the amp can provide the power, I dont see what is wrong. I run my fronts and sub off of a single amp.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:32 PM
97teg

Originally Posted by delsol161
ever ran an alpine type r sub? or components? it's be a hellofalot more practical IMO to run two seperate amps.
Yes i have and do run components. Ive even run the alpine type x's components. Plenty of systems run fine with a single 4 channel running the whole thing. Also as i said before yes if the sub needs a huge amount of power then a mono or two channel would be more practicle. He never said he was going to run a big power hungry sub. Many subs will work fine off 250-300 watts. I have run a 2 channel to my components and a 2 channel to my sub. Currently i run a two channel to my tweeters, a four channel to the mids and the other two channels are bridged to a sub. The result? A nice balanced system. No it wont blow the doors out but it gets plenty loud for daily driving and my tastes.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:46 AM
chod

what amp company is good? if you get alpine speakers..does it matter if you get an alpine amp? or can you just get a sony amp or some other company amp
Old 09-16-2005, 10:08 AM
b00gers

Brand doesnt matter. Just match it with whatever is best for you.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
97teg

I wouldnt say that it doesnt matter. Typically in higher end amps you find better board layouts along with components that are over built and better able to handle heat. This means the amp will be more reliable in the long run. Some amps have good reps for reliability and power while some amps dont have a rep for failing. Its kinda like a bmw vs a hyndai. Both are cars but the bmw will tend to use better parts. They will both get you to work but its whatever youll be happy with. The only other thing is be ware of "peak power" this does not mean anything and manufactures that tout their peak power over rms are probably not very good. Sony tends to be one of these companies. They will have 500 WATTS!!!!!!! in big bold letters but in reality will only do maybe 250 or so. Also beware amps that want to distract you with shinny things or lots of lights. There are a few exceptions but in those cases youll just have to know. Youll probalby hear more of a difference in power then in the actual sound of the amp. Especically in a noise environment of a car. I hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by 97teg
I wouldnt say that it doesnt matter. Typically in higher end amps you find better board layouts along with components that are over built and better able to handle heat. This means the amp will be more reliable in the long run. Some amps have good reps for reliability and power while some amps dont have a rep for failing. Its kinda like a bmw vs a hyndai. Both are cars but the bmw will tend to use better parts. They will both get you to work but its whatever youll be happy with. The only other thing is be ware of "peak power" this does not mean anything and manufactures that tout their peak power over rms are probably not very good. Sony tends to be one of these companies. They will have 500 WATTS!!!!!!! in big bold letters but in reality will only do maybe 250 or so. Also beware amps that want to distract you with shinny things or lots of lights. There are a few exceptions but in those cases youll just have to know. Youll probalby hear more of a difference in power then in the actual sound of the amp. Especically in a noise environment of a car. I hope that helps.
I was answering to his " if you get alpine speakers..does it matter if you get an alpine amp?"

Brand matching doesnt matter. Brands matter. h: My bad for not being clear.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:17 AM
chod

whats some good amp companies?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:39 AM
delsol161

audiobahn, alpine, rockford fosgate, i've heard a lot of good stuff about power acoustic amps. some legacy amps are pretty nice, juss ask around. i'm sure others have some good suggestions too.