Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

questions for the experts.....

Old 09-05-2002, 07:52 PM
seanbean3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for the experts.....

okay I got a question for you guys with experience. I have the option of puting 5.25 components or 6.5 components up front in my car. I have 6x9s in the rear. Now I will have subs with some decent power going to them so what size do you think I should put up front for my speakers. I know this is kind of a vague question but in your experience what size would sound better when the speakers would be used exclusively for highs only. Also the speakers will be amped if that helps any. Also here is what will be included in my setup. I have heard all independently and liked them but I have yet to hear them together.

Pioneer deh-p9400mp head unit
kenwood excelon dual mag components up front(not sure on size)
kenwood 6x9 4 ways in rear(I know a little much but I got a good deal on them so what they hell....)
kenwood excelon kac-x501f 4 channel amp for speakers( at the most 100 watts per speaker at 2 ohms)
2 12in dei viper subs in sealed box
1200 watt viper mono amp powering the subs
all monster cable wires and cables for hookups.

What do you guys think?? I am not going for any competitions obviously, I just like my music loud. Do you think I made the right decisions for a decent setup?? thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 08:02 PM
ueb0258

I really like the sound of the Kenwood Dual Mags. I think they are a great buy for the price. As far as the 6X9's go, it is all up to the listener. I have no rear fill in my car. I really didnt notice a difference without them. They are more for riders in the back seat and I really dont care if they have good sound or not. I am more worried about what it sounds like up front.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:24 PM
b00gers

take a look at the power rating of the 5" and the 6"....doesnt look like that amp is very powerful....so that might come into play.

i have 5.25s in the front....they are loud enough. honestly, i wouldnt be able to tell between 5 & 6.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:58 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by WiLL
they are loud enough. honestly, i wouldnt be able to tell between 5 & 6.
werd. if you get a good speaker, it should play as well as a bigger speaker. IMO
Old 09-06-2002, 07:22 AM
rcurley55

Definitely get the larger driver...a 5" cone playing the same as a 6" cone? No way. You will get better midbass out of the larger cone. Also, larger cones bring increased efficiency, so they will get louder if you maintain the same input.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

rcurley is correct about more midbass from the larger driver. However, seanbean did say that he would be using them for highs only....

Anyway, here's my shpeal: If you 6.5" will fit without any depth problems, then by all means, go for it. However, since Honda/Acura's suck and have little to no depth for aftermarket speakers, a 5.25" driver may be easier to install, so less headache and cutting....
Old 09-06-2002, 12:28 PM
LjN_728

Originally posted by SiClone
However, since Honda/Acura's suck and have little to no depth for aftermarket speakers, a 5.25" driver may be easier to install, so less headache and cutting....

I'm gonna have to go against u on that one SiClone. I have 6.5 components in my ryde and they fit just right. I guess it just depends on the manufacturer. My infinity's have a 5" depth. So i u can use that to compare to whatever components you'll be using. Personally i don't care about wut size i use, so long as i got the highs. My subs just drowns out the lows and mids so it's pointless. I just got the 6.5" only because they fit snuggly. well post up the results.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:25 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by SiClone
rcurley is correct about more midbass from the larger driver. However, seanbean did say that he would be using them for highs only....

"Highs" in my eyes mean nothing covered by your sub woofer...that means everything down to 80Hz - with authority!

That's my $0.02
Old 09-06-2002, 08:24 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Originally posted by LjN_728
My infinity's have a 5" depth..
Are you sure about that??? 5" depth eh??? I couldn't even get a cheap pair of Sony coaxes to fit snuggly at all in a 2000 Accord coupe.

As for my opinion, it is based more on the cars I'm familiar with, which are Integra's and Civic's. I've put in 6.5" MB Quart drivers (which measure out close to 7" in diameter with the basket) in a 3rd gen Integra and it took some work. 2 weeks ago, I put in a set of Kicker 6.5" mids in a 6th gen Si, and that also required a little cutting of the plastic baffle. I'm just saying that if seanbean isn't comfortable cutting and modifying his car, then he should just get the 5.25" ones. Personally, I'd go with the 6.5".
Old 09-07-2002, 10:08 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Comparing the same brand and series speaker, the 6.5's will give more midbass than the 5.25's (which is what a lot of systems lack). Shouldn't be too hard to get 6.5's in there. You might have to trim out the basket and depending on the depth driver, maybe a spacer will be needed so that the windows don't hit the speaker when they roll down.

Quick Reply: questions for the experts.....