Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What do ya'll think?

Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
delsol161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do ya'll think?

i've built a custom MDF sub enclosure for my del Sol. i wanted one to fit behind the seats. when i designed it, i didn't consider the clearance behind the subs (dumbass!). i was gonna use 3 Type R 12"ers, and if they'd fit, they'd pound. here's my thought though... what if rather than mount the speakers on the front, i mounted them on the bottom? here's a pic of how the box is set up now... scroll down a lil to see it. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/823606/4 the black box was my fist attempt (P.O.S.)

now, here is my other thought. what if rather than they Type Rs, i bought one more Xplod 10, and mounted all 3 upside down on the bottom of the box? here's what i have in mind...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
enclosure.bmp (422.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 AM
delsol161

oh, basically, it'd save a lot more money to just use my existing subs, and add one more. and i personally think that it'd all sound better w/ the Xplods upside down. what do ya'll think? any suggestions? thoughts? comments?

i'm also looking for 3 of those connection panels that install into the back of the box. i want it completely air tight, so i need those connector things. anybody know where i can get ahold of some?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Chizzy

i got my terminal cups at radio shack(circuit city)...they had a few
Old 08-19-2005, 10:25 AM
delsol161

i found some decent terminals @ a local car audio shop. juss about 10 minutes ago. how much did u pay for them @ the shack??
Old 08-19-2005, 06:49 PM
delsol161

any other input?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Chizzy

um, I only need two connections without bannana plugs so it was like $6 gold plated...the most expensive one was $15
Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 PM
delsol161

i sure hope this different setup ends up sounding better than my other box :|
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

In a delsol I think that 3 subs is just too much, since I am sure that you are going to wire all those subs in parallel dropping your Ohms...you will probably get around 700W to all the subs as a whole, which is like 233W per sub. (don't want to pull out all the equations and calculator...sorry) In a tiny cabin like that it seems a bit much. If you have a properly tuned single DVC sub in almost any car, you can make that thing bouce harder than somone with 4 subs and a shotty amp. (I wish I could find the site of the guy who took a basic 6.5" speaker and was hitting nearly as hard as someone with a Memphis Mojo amp with Huge speakers...mind you, this was just a basic speaker that had a perfectly tuned box for it.

But if you mount the speakers at the bottom you hare going to get instant bass reflection off your chasis and may rattle the hell out of your metal parts and sound kind of crappy...I would add some ports that exit behind your seat to possibly try to fix the prob.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:59 AM
delsol161

Originally Posted by Draconius
In a delsol I think that 3 subs is just too much, since I am sure that you are going to wire all those subs in parallel dropping your Ohms...you will probably get around 700W to all the subs as a whole, which is like 233W per sub. (don't want to pull out all the equations and calculator...sorry) In a tiny cabin like that it seems a bit much. If you have a properly tuned single DVC sub in almost any car, you can make that thing bouce harder than somone with 4 subs and a shotty amp. (I wish I could find the site of the guy who took a basic 6.5" speaker and was hitting nearly as hard as someone with a Memphis Mojo amp with Huge speakers...mind you, this was just a basic speaker that had a perfectly tuned box for it.

But if you mount the speakers at the bottom you hare going to get instant bass reflection off your chasis and may rattle the hell out of your metal parts and sound kind of crappy...I would add some ports that exit behind your seat to possibly try to fix the prob.
well, two will be bridged, off of a 1200 watt amp, and the other will run off of it's own 600 watt amp. about the bass deflection off the chassis, i could add another angled wall underneath the the box, to aim the bass waves out into the car behind the seats. whatcha think?

i'll be back in on monday, so i'll catch up w/ replies when i come home. i gotta go work on my car, hopefully get it ready for paint to start in a week.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Well...Bass isn't one for being "deflected"...thats the beauty of it is that it is non-directional like coax. You won't divert the bass waves, you'll actually just absorb some of them...remember that the bass wave is MASSIVE...talking 5-20 feet depending on the Hz so if you bounce the wave back to the woofer within a few inches you are going to cause phase cancelation and out of phase noises...its similar to when someone faces subs to the cabin of a car with the subs inches from the back seat...have them turn it around so that the waves are having "fun" in your trunk and you have a MUCH cleaner hit and reflection of the waves, since the deflected waves from the back of your trunk are reaching nearly 5-6 feet back to the woofer almost creating the wave.