Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Remote Start Issues, PLS HELP

Old 08-06-2005, 10:59 PM
97 Lude VTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Issues, PLS HELP

I have a Black Widow Z5 alarm/remote start... ive been having it for a little over a year with no problems, and just tonight, when i go to start it with the remote.. it seems as if the system has a brain fart and wont start... after this occurs, it wont let me lock/unlock the car or turn the alarm on/off... After a while (varies), it will randomly come back to life and sets the alarm off. wtf? im lost. So now my cars alarm is unarmed (locked manually) and im just waiting for the alarm to go off.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? i dont think its anything to do with the wiring or anything... ill check all that tomorrow, but it wouldnt be wiring if it comes back, right? I am completely dumbfounded here... clueless.

Please help with this situation, any advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
-zakk
Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 AM
VPUPPY

i think you need to get a new alarm brain. i have seen black widow alarms do wierd things.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:24 PM
97 Lude VTec

yeah, somethings going wrong... i think it tried to come back to life, but it shut off very quickly
Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
97 Lude VTec

well here's an update, maybe this will help...

when i got back to my car after work today.. something with the alarm was working and is still working. I dont know what you call it, but when i first press on the brake, it locks the doors... so, something with the alarm is detecting that the key is in, and the brakes are being applied... but the alarm still wont work, nor will the remote start, i have two transmitters, one 2-way and a regular, both batteries are fresh. i dont know what else i can tell you, the red light that flashes when the alarm is on, well it also flashes when you open the door if the car is started.... it does this now as well... i dont know whats going on???

thanks for all your help
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
orbit77

also i would start off with metering all the wires to see if any of them are grounding out. also did you install it or did you take it in? do you know if passive arming is on? that could be why it rearms itself.

as for your lock and unlock problem i would go back and check the lock and unlock and make sure they aren't grounding out or maybe how they taped into the wires are still ok.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 PM
97 Lude VTec

i am going to have to find someone to do it for me... i had it installed.. are there any fuses that may have blown?... it happened when lightning/thunder set off my alarm.. would this be the cause of anything?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
orbit77

there should be fuses on the wires that go to your ignition harness if you look under your dash i think you'll be able to see them. i wouldn't think a fuse would make it flake out since it'll be blown or not. i wouldn't think the rumble of lighting will harm the alarm unless the rumble was so loud that it somehow harmed the shock sensor. if not i would think black widow has an lifetime warranty on their alarms.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM
VPUPPY

the locks locking when you press you brakes is normal. the alarm is detecting the ignition in the on position and the brakes being pressed. do you know if its in valet mode be any chance?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
97 Lude VTec

i have no idea... ive never really looked into all of the modes on this system.. how would i go about checking that?

and before installing this system, the car never locked after pressing the brakes.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:29 PM
VPUPPY

usually the LED is constantly on when in valet mode. and the locks are being controlled by the alarm brain thats why they are locking now. did they lock themselves before all this?