Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

wiring of multiple objects...help

Old 09-04-2002, 10:11 AM
long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring of multiple objects...help

ok..had a quick question for those wiring gurus.....

i have one 4 gauge wire from the battery to my back seat, where it goes into a fused (AGU) block where 4 8 gauge outputs come out....

from there one goes to my 800.2 amp
one goes to my 400.4 amp
one goes to my pressure switch for my air tank
and one goes to my solenoid that connects to my compressor.

when the compressor turns on you can hear it in my speakers, same thing goes when i hit my switches. im not sure if this will really have any effect on my speakers in the long run.

should i get another 4 gauge from the battery and run it back just for the compressor and pressure switch just to be safe or should i be fine? could the compressor have anything to do with me having static in my speakers as well?

thnx.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 AM
b00gers

i think thats a pretty small wire powering those 4 things. maybe you should switch to 0 gauge.

have you also checked for any loose groundings?
Old 09-04-2002, 10:25 AM
long

yeah gound is cool. see heres the thing...if you dont mind reading....

i just reinstalled my new amp rack. since then my 400.4 punch amp has been cutting off when it gets to hot. im pretty sure thats why its cutting off but ill loose my mids/highs for a couple secs then it'll come back on. but at night and when i first turn it on its fine but it never did this before until i reinstalled it....but anyways. since that started ive also had the static in my mids/highs on certain songs. sometimes i only hear it when the music is low. im thinking about just gettin a 600.4 amp to replace it.

but you think a 0 gauge wire would be better for everything? dang and i just bought that 4 gauge but as far as hearing the compressor in my speakers if i get a 0 gauge would that help. i mean when it comes on i hear a click from the solenoid and when it turns off i hear it in the speakers again but its loud. if i get a 0 the wires are still going to be close and connected and i jsut dont wanna mess up my speakers. any thoughts? thnx again.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:42 PM
b00gers

this is a big maybe since i am not a electrical expert...

since you have so much equipment running on a 4 guage, i think they might be struggling for power....does the power wire get really hot after its been running after a while?

from what i can remember those arent class D amps, A/B amps draw a lot of power. i have a 4gauge running my 600.4 and another 4 gauge that i used for my sub amp.

also, how is the amp positioned? make sure those fins on the amps are mounted correctly to get the best air flow...thats not the cause of the noise im thinking, but just something to check.

also is the amp rack made of metal? or is it touching the compressor or allowing the amp to ground out to the chassis?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:43 PM
long

does the 4 gauge get really hot? havent really checked it. i know the 8 gauge going to the compressor (solenoid) and to the pressure switch gets kinda hot.

yeah they arent d amps. so you think i should run two sep 4 from the battery or 0 from the battery into a block into 4 and 8's?

the amps are kind of assymetrical. if you go to my website you can see my old amp rack that i had no problems with but the new setup kind of looks like this

www.geocities.com/longmanh

the rack is actually made out of mdf. the compressor is right behind it but its not touching. the compressor is loud but i only hear it in my speakers right when it comes on and right when it cuts off.

thnx again for the help