Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Need Help: Honda+ Aftermkt Stereo+ Aux in for iPod

Old 07-29-2005, 11:52 AM
dcmetro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Honda+ Aftermkt Stereo+ Aux in for iPod

My stock 1999 honda accord coupe stereo choked after swalloping a CD and is now needs to be retired.
I plan to change it for a decently priced stereo but one that supports my iPod for better sound than using my current monster FM transmitter.

I am considering the following options from crutchfield for stereo:

- Aiwa CDC-X204
- Aiwa CDC-X304
- Dual XDM6820

Any opinions on above.

Earlier I was inclined towards Dual due to support for ID3 tags, MP3 and WMA compatability but now I am inclined towards Aiwa since they have FRONT Aux input.

Quick Qs:

- Could Front Aux input make installation easier or is it the same?
- Sound with Aux input should be better than FM transmitter, right?
- How easy is it to replace the stock Honda Stereo with Above stereos? Can I do it myself? Dont want to pay Best Buy or CC, if I dont have to. Never done something like this before. Does front/back aux make the installation any different?
- When I use Aux, it does not transfer song info, etc, right?

Really look forward to your comments/suggetions

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Chizzy

front aux way to ghetto for me, get and alpine set up or something similar..
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

To answer your questions:

- Could Front Aux input make installation easier or is it the same?
A feature like a front aux input shouldn't be limiting you to only three choices, it's no big deal at all to use a HU with a rear aux input. Buy a three-foot RCA-to-1/8" plug cable (you can find 'em for like $5 at radio shack) and when you're taking apart the dash to install the HU, plug the cable into your rear aux input and lead the headphone jack through an opening in the dash. I've got my cord coming out where my removable change tray is since there's enough room to lead a cable out through there. There is no added pain when it comes to the installation at all, and it really opens up your choices a lot.

- Sound with Aux input should be better than FM transmitter, right?
Absolutely. There's really no noticeable interference with an RCA input as opposed to the FM transmitter which accepts the same interference radio stations do. It's basically the difference between listening to a CD and to the radio in terms of sound quality.

- How easy is it to replace the stock Honda Stereo with Above stereos? Can I do it myself? Dont want to pay Best Buy or CC, if I dont have to. Never done something like this before. Does front/back aux make the installation any different?
I'm assuming you researched these on crutchfield? Buy from them if you'd like to install them yourself. They send you free accessories (mounting kit, wire harness, etc.), and instructions for your particular car with your HU and have great 800# tech support. If you're patient and can read directions, you can do it yourself.

- When I use Aux, it does not transfer song info, etc, right?
Nope. An RCA input only transmits audio signal, nothing else. However, Alpine makes some nice head units that have seamless iPod integration when you add their iPod adapter to your setup. Ask anyone that's got one, it's a pretty nice, easy to install setup and your HU will display the info that your iPod does. I think it's the kca-420i if I'm not mistaken. Someone else give feedback on that...

Hope those answers help, good luck.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Don't know what your budget is like but here's my suggestion that would give you a great-sounding headunit and iPod integration:

Alpine CDA-9847 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver $199

Alpine KCA-420i iPod control interface $99

Pioneer also has a iPod-headunit control adapter too in case you like their headunits any better but I'd go with the Alpine.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
dcmetro

Well, sorry to disappoint few, but I went ahead with a cheap aiwa deck since I only plan to keep the car for about 6 months. therefore did not want to spend more.

Ok now I have successfully installed the Aiwa Stereo and am loving it. Could not believe that same car with same speakers could produce such a better sound. Honda stock radio sucks big time!
However I am having an issue though while connecting stereo to a Belkin AutoKit..details in this thread:https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...93#post2433793