Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Connect amp without any pre-amp outputs

Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 AM
treetribe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My question is rather similar to Hydroxx's.

I have a 2005 Accord Sedan 2.4L 5AT. I recently installed 2 Audiobahn AS69Q 6x9's in the rear. I have a question about installing an amplifier in the trunk. Firstly I know the stock headunit only puts out 30w x 4. I don't find that loud enough at all, especially with the stock front speakers. Also, the stock headunit doesn't have RCA (preamp) outputs which makes an amp harder to install. I have 2 Pioneer 400W RMS subs in a box all ready to go. All they need is an amp.

I was thinking of either buying an amp just to power the two rear 6x9's because they are 150W RMS speakers and should sound decent with the right amount of power. Or I could put the subs in and power them through an amp.

I'm kind of leaning towards the first option, cause putting in subs just adds weight and occupies trunk space.

So, here is the question: In order to power the rear 6X9's with an amp, how exactly would I need to setup the wiring, considering there's no RCA outs from the headunit....

Orbit77:
"actually you can check out the new mtx amps, the rep said something that your actually suppose to use high level inputs for your signal, so you wouldn't even need the line out converter."

Can anyone give a link to maybe 2 amps that would not require this output convertor? Also, how do I wire the convertor? Just plug in the rear speaker outs on one end and the RCA to the amp on the other? Power wiring help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Takoon

Originally Posted by treetribe
Hello,

My question is rather similar to Hydroxx's.

I have a 2005 Accord Sedan 2.4L 5AT. I recently installed 2 Audiobahn AS69Q 6x9's in the rear. I have a question about installing an amplifier in the trunk. Firstly I know the stock headunit only puts out 30w x 4. I don't find that loud enough at all, especially with the stock front speakers. Also, the stock headunit doesn't have RCA (preamp) outputs which makes an amp harder to install. I have 2 Pioneer 400W RMS subs in a box all ready to go. All they need is an amp.

I was thinking of either buying an amp just to power the two rear 6x9's because they are 150W RMS speakers and should sound decent with the right amount of power. Or I could put the subs in and power them through an amp.

I'm kind of leaning towards the first option, cause putting in subs just adds weight and occupies trunk space.

So, here is the question: In order to power the rear 6X9's with an amp, how exactly would I need to setup the wiring, considering there's no RCA outs from the headunit....

Orbit77:
"actually you can check out the new mtx amps, the rep said something that your actually suppose to use high level inputs for your signal, so you wouldn't even need the line out converter."

Can anyone give a link to maybe 2 amps that would not require this output convertor? Also, how do I wire the convertor? Just plug in the rear speaker outs on one end and the RCA to the amp on the other? Power wiring help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!
sorry but all amps require rca connections for mids and lows. the only time you will ever not use the rcas is when your aiming for highs, the amp you get (if bought from a store or whatnot) should come with a High level output adapter. This allows you to hook up the amp and power speakers without the use of rca's, BUT it is only used for HIGH LEVEL outputs. Sorry man but your gonna have to either get an rca adapter or a new Head Unit that has some. As for your speaker question, in a way yes it is more weight, but you can lessen it by the type of box you get. Most people get bandpass (I don't know why), and that takes up a lot of space in the back. Especially if it's and Accord (I have a 2004 Accord). My suggestion to you is if you really want to add in sounds, you will have to dish out some cash and get some weird off shit.

RCA adapter
2 or 3 Channel Crossover (Highs/Mids/Lows)
2 amps of your choice
0 to 4 gauge amp wiring kit w/2 8 to 4 guage distrubution block

this is as close and versitile as you can get without buying a new head unit.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
treetribe

Getting complicated.... I think I might buy an amp online and go get it professionally installed.....

Thanks tho...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:13 PM
orbit77

takoon, i'm not trying to start anything but why would it only be used for only highs. you are getting full range from the source, right. also low pass and high pass filters are varible on the amps so you can adjust to what crossover point you want. but i do understand not tuning the mids in unless your amp lets you set two crossover points.

if your running rca's for highs, mids, and lows you would be using an active crossover if not than wouldn't you send full range to your amp and let your passive crossover take care of what freq is going to each speaker?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 AM
treetribe

Ok I've been reading alot about these output converters. I think I will buy the Stinger SLOC. Now my only dilemma remains on how to power the amp. Would I have to disconnect the battery to run the power wire to it? Won't this require security codes for the head unit??
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

You should definitely disconnect the battery when running new power wire. You should have a fuse right near the positive terminal, and after everything is hooked up and ready to go, install the fuse in the fuse holder as the last step.

Entering the radio code and setting the clock are the easiest, most relaxing part of an amp install. :P
Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 AM
treetribe

But where do I get the radio code???

I have a 6 week old 2005 Accord sedan 2.4L Value Pkg.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

There are some radio code stickies in the audio forum on Honda-Tech, maybe those can help.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Takoon

Originally Posted by orbit77
takoon, i'm not trying to start anything but why would it only be used for only highs. you are getting full range from the source, right. also low pass and high pass filters are varible on the amps so you can adjust to what crossover point you want. but i do understand not tuning the mids in unless your amp lets you set two crossover points.

if your running rca's for highs, mids, and lows you would be using an active crossover if not than wouldn't you send full range to your amp and let your passive crossover take care of what freq is going to each speaker?
ya know I never looked at it that way before... to be honest I have only used the high pass for highs and lows for either mids or lows. I want to try that out but I don't want to fry another amp either, but sounds pretty logical.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:38 PM
orbit77

takon, i'm running active off my p1r and i love it. so much control over my components. how are you frying your amps? usually your speaker dies before your amps does.

treetribe, you dont' have to disconnect the battery to run your power. when i run power thru my car i just run it back to front and than at the end i connect the fuse holder and than connect it to my battery and than put the fuse back in once i'm all done with everything.