Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

wiring another amp

Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM
sslkickers
My Car Is Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring another amp

i'm going to get at some point a 600 w 4 channel amp. now, i'm shortly putting in an 1800 watt amp with 2 kicker comps. I wondered how i would install the other amp into the system. the RCA cables wouldn't be a problem, the soundstorm amp i have has an output so that would be easy but my questions are these:
1)how do i get battery power to the second amp
2)should i get a capacitor to prevent my headlights dimming

side question
what is a farad on a capacitor and how many do i really need
Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by sslkickers
i'm going to get at some point a 600 w 4 channel amp. now, i'm shortly putting in an 1800 watt amp with 2 kicker comps. I wondered how i would install the other amp into the system. the RCA cables wouldn't be a problem, the soundstorm amp i have has an output so that would be easy but my questions are these:
1)how do i get battery power to the second amp
2)should i get a capacitor to prevent my headlights dimming

side question
what is a farad on a capacitor and how many do i really need
1. It depends on your current power wire. If it is big enough, you can use a distribution block and distribute the power to 2 amps. If the current wire is not big enough for 2 amps, you can upgrade that wire and use a d-block, or just run another wire.

2. This depends on your current electrical system. It looks like you are using really big amps, unless you are refering to their MAX power ratings. But generally our Hondas have dinky alternators, so any strain on them will cause your lights to start blinking. You can try using a cap, general rule is 1 farad per 1k watts. Some have good success, others dont. If you can afford it, buying a high-output alternator and another battery is a much better solution.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
sslkickers
My Car Is Slow

Originally Posted by WiLL
If you can afford it, buying a high-output alternator and another battery is a much better solution.
2)i was talking about max power. rms for those are 75 rms for the fosgate and 380 for the soundstorm.
another battery? hm, where would you put that? also what do alternators cost?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:29 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by sslkickers
2)i was talking about max power. rms for those are 75 rms for the fosgate and 380 for the soundstorm.
another battery? hm, where would you put that? also what do alternators cost?
You shouldnt Max power means nothing at all. Stick with RMS ratings.

You can put another battery in the trunk. A high-output alternator for a Honda would be around $200-250. And looking at the RMS ratings for the amps, you probably dont need a high-output alternator if you current electrical system is in good condition.