Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Accord - Amp/Sub Install Questions

Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 PM
AceMc03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord - Amp/Sub Install Questions

Just decided to go ahead and treat myself to some new car audio equipment. Had a few questions I wasn't sure about, and thought maybe ya'll could help me out with. I'll list the specs of what I've got, and then proceed to ask the questions. If you need any more details, just ask and I'll add more information if I have it.
  • 1999 Honda Accord
  • Kenwood KDC-X589 CD-Receiver
  • Orion 4004 4-Channel Amp (Amp for Speakers)
    • 4 x 50W @ 4 Ohm Stereo
    • 4 x 100W @ 2 Ohm Stereo
    • 2 x 200W @ 4 Ohm Mono
  • Orion 3002 2-Channel Amp (Amp for Subs)
    • 2 x 75W @ 4 Ohm Stereo
    • 2 x 150W @ 2 Ohm Stereo
    • 1 x 300W @ 4 Ohm Mono
  • 2 x Eclipse SE8363 6.5 (Front Speakers)
    • 40W RMS / 80W Peak
  • 2 x Eclipse SE8493 6x9 (Rear Speakers)
    • 75W RMS / 150W Peak
  • 2 x Hafler Subs (10's)
    • Specs unknown at this moment
    • Will post them *hopefully* tomorrow

Just got the amps today, and am planning on running the wiring for them tomorrow, and hooking everythign up except the subs. Will go ahead and hook up the wiring for the sub amp, but simply keep it turned off to begin with until I have the subs ready to install. I'm planning on mounting the amps in the trunk, and having the subs simply be a free-air setup with them mounted on a board, set up [in the trunk] against my rear seat. Main reason I want this setup with the subs is I still want as much space available in my trunk.

Question 1 - Alternator/Battery/Capacitor
I've been browsing around, and have noticed some mention of possibly needing a higher performance alternator, additional battery, and/or a capacitor. Saw somebody mention figuring out the power drawn by your amps, or a ballpark figure by looking at the fuses on the amps... I've got 2x30A fuses on the Orion 4004, and 1x30A fuse on the Orion 3002. Given the details of my setup, will any of the above be necessary?

Question 2 - Wiring Thru Firewall
Running the wiring for my amps. I can run this the full length of the car no problem, but does anybody happen to know the best place to run the cable to my battery through the firewall? Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody has done an install on a 99 Accord and knows where a nice hole is just waiting for me to run the cable through. I'd hate to waste time/effort drilling through that if I don't have to.

Question 3 - Remote Turn On
2 Amps = 2 Remote Turn On Wires... The amps will turn on once they are fed 12 V+ , and it appears that my head unit only has 1 power control wire. What should I do to go about getting the 2 x 12 V+ that I need so both my amps will turn on? Any recommendations as to where I should connect the second turn-on wire to?

That's all my questions for now... I'm sure I'll have more later once I get this much setup, and then move on to setting up the subs. But, I'll leave it at this for now.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:42 AM
SkyLord

for question one you wont need a new alternator. the stock one should be fine. im pulling a lot more than you and my stock alternator is fine.
question 3- just run a jumper from one to another. or you can run 2 wires from the head unit. ive done it both ways. it doesnt really matter as long as it gets the 12 volt turn on.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:16 AM
b00gers

q1: Doesnt look like you need a high output alternator. If your battery and alternator is in good shape now, you are cool.

q2: I am not familiar with the Accords, but they should have a rubber grommet(sp) where wires are already running through the firewall. People usually just use that hole.

q3: You can spilt the remote turn on when it gets into the trunk into two. It should turn on 2 amps just fine. If you are using it to turn on more than two things, you should probably look into using a relay.