Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

bridging subs

Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 AM
jr22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bridging amp and 8ohm subs

i have a 300/2 jl audio amp and i was thinking about getting two 12w1 8 ohm subs. my question was is, is it better to go with the 8 ohm and bridge them than to go with the 4ohm? i was talking to the guy at the audio store and he told me that i should get the 8 ohm and them bridge them at 4 ohm and that i would get more power going to them. if u could help me out i would appreciate it. thanks.

Last edited by jr22; 04-22-2005 at 06:45 AM. Reason: wrong term
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
b00gers

You dont "bridge" subs, you bridge amps. Bridging means to put 2 channels together to make 1 channel by using the + from CH1 and the - from CH2.

With the 300/2 bridge, it will make 300 watts at a 3-8OHM load. If you buy 2 8OHM speakers, and wire them in parallel, that will net you a 4OHM load.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

You could get a total output of 300W from that amp regardless of whether you get the 4ohm or 8ohm subs. If you get 4ohm subs, you could wire them in stereo and get 150W to each sub. If you get 8ohm subs, you can bridge the amp to split 300W between the two. There should be no difference in power output, so I don't understand why he'd say you would get more power one way or another.

Personally, I'd rather get the 4ohm subs than the 8ohm - it'll be more convenient if you ever change that amp.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:06 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Arfboy
You could get a total output of 300W from that amp regardless of whether you get the 4ohm or 8ohm subs. If you get 4ohm subs, you could wire them in stereo and get 150W to each sub. If you get 8ohm subs, you can bridge the amp to split 300W between the two. There should be no difference in power output, so I don't understand why he'd say you would get more power one way or another.

Personally, I'd rather get the 4ohm subs than the 8ohm - it'll be more convenient if you ever change that amp.
A lot of truth in that. But also with running a pair of subwoofers to individual channels on an amp, you have to be very careful the adjustments on the amp since each channel is controlled separately.

If I were you. I would think again about the 8 OHM W1s. How about find a DVC woofer so that you dont have to get such a weird impedance...that will open up your options a little more if anything changes in your setup.