Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

where to wire up capacitor?

Old 04-18-2005, 04:43 PM
gnehc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to wire up capacitor?

well i have 2 amps running my system. one for the 2 12" subs and one for the inside speakers. i have a distribution block running power lines to the two amps. would i wire the capacitor from the battery to the distribution block, or would i wire it from the distribution block to the amp running the subs?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:10 PM
ihookitup4u

depending on the size of the amps and the size of the caps if it is a .5 farad cap and you have a 500watt total combine rate to the 2 amps put it before the dist block, if it is a 1 farad and the total watts are 1000 put it in the same place , however you only really need it for the bass amp it is the only amp that spike draws the batt and alt. so either way just to the bass amp is a safe bet.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:21 PM
b00gers

Like this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.JPG (25.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
gnehc1

thanks....that's what i was thinking. wire it to the amp to the subs because it will take more power.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by gnehc1
thanks....that's what i was thinking. wire it to the amp to the subs because it will take more power.

Not for the sole reason that a sub amp will take more power. In the ways a cap works, it helps fill in those power spikes created when a strong note hits. Everytime one of those notes hit, extra current is needed and the alternator is not always there to supply it. That is why you will see dash lights blink, it is because the current going to the dash lights is reduced, and is used by the amp. The amp you are using to power the in cabin speakers do not require a power surge or spike.