Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

connecting the dimmer?

Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default connecting the dimmer?

how do i connect the aftermarket radio's dimmer wire to the car?

i've tired soldering it to the dimmer wire on the wire adapter that goes to the stock harness, but all the lights still come on during the day.

i only want this thing to turn on when my dash lights come on.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:32 AM
b00gers

Are you familiar with hooking up indiglo gauges? I would put it to that same wire. On my car, I think it is a red/blk wire. You also can take out your gauges and test each wire with a probe to see which one is getting current only when the dash lights come on. h: If you do a search on how to wire up indiglo gauges, you will probably find that wire. I just leave that wire connected to nothing on my stereos. What does it actually do?
Old 04-16-2005, 11:23 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by WiLL
What does it actually do?
on my radio right now the lights are completely on when the car is on. when you attach the dimmer wire, the lights only come on when your dash lights come on. (like when you turn on your headlights at night)

aslo, you can control the inensity of the radio's light to match the interior's.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
ihookitup4u

on most newer radios u need to turn on the dimmer feature. if the orange/white from deck is hooked to the red/black to the car then u did it