Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

IN jacks on the back of my deck

Old 02-07-2005, 10:33 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IN jacks on the back of my deck

I have a Sony CDX-M600 deck and it has the red/white inputs on the back of the deck. I was so stoked because that meant that I could use my iPod with my deck, but when I'm plugged into the back I can't seem to switch to that channel to hear the iPod. Any ideas? I have a good feeling this input is intended for the CD Changer bus, but I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
anibis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I found on the internet you should have 3 preamp out's, front, rear, and sub, it says nothing about an RCA input. I know my pioneer has a adapter you can plug into the cd-changer plug and it will convert that to RCA inputs, but I'm not sure if Sony has something similiar.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Well, here's the images of the back. Sony put me on hold and I mysteriously got hung up on so... :squint:

Plugged into the first set of RCA connections there, but can't switch to them when the deck is on. Makes me think that the CD Changer has to be connected so that the deck thinks there is something there to switch to. Sucks cause this should work...

Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

From what I'm gathering on the interweb is that the deck needs to 'sense' that there is something plugged into the CD Changer connection and then it will allow you to change to that aux input to listen to whatever is plugged in there. So, I need to figure out a way to trick it into thinking something is plugged in and then it will allow me to switch to the CD Changer inputs. Going to run to Circuit City tonight to see what they have to say. Hopefully they have some insight into this... :happysad:
Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

Watching this for outside helpage.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
EGPrelude

haha i work at circuit city

we have a model there that so many people buy with the same BUS AUDIO IN input. you just plug it in.

On that model tho, IIRC, you the radio didnt have to "sense" anything. you could swithc to the AUX input even when nothing is plugged in - its just nothing would play
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
EGPrelude

though you do need to get an RCA to mini plug that plugs into your iPOD
Old 02-07-2005, 02:24 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Well, here's what I did: I used an adapter cable that goes from a headphone jack to 2 RCA outs. I plugged those into the BUS IN jacks (very left of the RCA's) and then attempted to switch the source to that bus. If I hit the source button with the radio playing, it did nothing (didn't have a CD in the deck). What other button would I hit? I lost the user's manual for the deck or I'd look through that. If I don't have to go out and you can answer my question then that would be great considering there's an ice storm going on right now. :happysad:

I guess my question is, how do I switch to AUX?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
EGPrelude

yea usually you'd change it with the source button.

if thats the case and you seem to have the right cable (RCA --> mini plug on IPOD) then it should work but maybe there's another way of switching it to AUX for that model. i'd have to chekc, but damn i dont think we even carry that model in store
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Anything you can do would rock man. I'm taking a 14 hour drive on Wed of this week and it would be great if I could figure it out before then...

This is essentially the cable I have: