Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I put a hole in my surround!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 09:23 PM
laynlow602

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I put a hole in my surround!!!

Just as the title says, i f#%cked up. A screw snapped in two while i was tightening it and "pop" - there went my screwdriver right through the surround.:doh: The whole isn't too big or noticeable. Unless you press your finger right into it, you'll never even know it's there. Is there anything i can do to fix it?
I was thinking of taking it back to the store and return it for a bigger speaker instead of the same(so they don't overly examine the surround).
I was also thinking of patching the whole with a thin piece of plastic, probably a piece of latex attached with rubber cement.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:33 PM
LjN_728

oh brotha!! If they only made a bigger :doh: haha jk What store did you buy it at? Well nonetheless, all stores won't take that sucka back if they see a hole in it. hmm...If you do that latex plastic covering, is it as noticeable? Yea...and your idea of returning it for a bigger size does sound like a better one cuz of course they'll be happy that they're making more money! haha i don't know bro...touch luck!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:06 AM
b00gers

hehe...good luck. you can try to fix it if it isnt too big...but i would just return it.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:21 AM
TeggerLS

Is it rubber or foam surround? If it's foam just use strips of tissue paper and elmer's glue on the back of the rip. Or go get a tube of clear silicone from Home Depot, put a glob of silicone on the surround from the backside a lil before the tear. Then use your finger to spread it thinly over the tear, let it dry and reapply for more strength
Old 08-22-2002, 09:31 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

usually adding adhesives and such will affectthe playabilty... stiffening the surround and weighing it down.. you won't the max excursion i bet.
I say make it look nice and return it and get a better one.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:00 PM
laynlow602

returning it sounds good to me - i could always use the extra vibrations for the ladies.........
Old 08-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, that's tough, that DEFINITELY will affect the sound quality, I'd try to return it and tell them that they don't fit...:exnbp:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net