Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subs damage 6x9's?

Old 01-03-2005, 02:17 PM
odiepsock
Bad driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs damage 6x9's? HELP!

Please help!!
I just bought A new set of MB Quart 6x9's for the back for My honda accord 99. I also have a punch 800.2 amp with two Resonant Engineering SE subs. I have heard rumors that a sub can damage the cone of the 6x9 because it pushes air upward and causes distortion. Lately i have been noticing a lot more distortion out of the rear's. If subwoofers do in fact damage 6x9's, what can i do to prevent this? Will it soon kill my 6x9's if i don't do somthing about it?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 PM
ohio_civic

Put your 6x9's in box's, or inclose them.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
orbit77

if you have a coupe i would even take out the rear speakers and use a nice set of components in the front. a couple of ways to do it if you still want to keep your 6x9's is to make a blow hole or seal off the 6x9's from underneath.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:02 PM
strychnine
i am legend

disconnect your rear speakers, shut your trunk, turn up the stereo, look to see if the rears are still moving, if they are then theres a lot of pressure in your trunk and it could damage them. if not then you should be fine.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:31 AM
odiepsock
Bad driver

Yeah, They're still moving........even after being disconnected. Somone reccomended to get baffles? I'll give them a try...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 AM
b00gers

Foam baffles would help. I got mine from Crutchfield. But now the 6x9s are long gone. The two holes in the rear deck act more like a port for the sub h:
Old 01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

I would remove and sell the 6x9's, and put the factory speaker covers over the holes. Then, I would get a good set of components for the front. You do not need rear speakers, especially if you have a coupe. Also, the openings created in your rear deck will alow more bass to come inside of the cabin. All of this will add up to a better sound stage up front. IMO, rear speakers are just for the passengers.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 AM
pnthr30

What kind of deck do you have? The one I have (Pioneer Premier 730) lets you play the sub in reverse mode - in short, your problem is solved. Otherwise use the baffles for the 6x9's. A lot of people are going to tell you to lose the rears (which is fine), but I personally like a little sound from the rear. I have a Integra sedan, so it is similar to your Accord..........try out a few different scenarios and see what you like best. As I said, I tried it without rears, but I didn't like it (currently it is heavily faded to the front, but there is still some sound from the rears).
Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Originally Posted by pnthr30
The one I have (Pioneer Premier 730) lets you play the sub in reverse mode - in short, your problem is solved.
:werd: I don't think so. Not accounting for the pressure wave travel time, playing the sub in reverse relative to the 6x9's means sound cancellation. No matter what the polarity of the sub, it's still a source of eminating pressure waves.

Cutting relief holes between the trunk and cabin is the only solution beside pulling the 6x9's out.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
odiepsock
Bad driver

I have an Alpine 9830 head unit... but could playing them in reverse really help?? I also do have a very nice set of components... MB Quart Premiums..they sound awesome.