Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Hookin up my stereo?

Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hookin up my stereo?

I wanted to know what wires are what? As far as color code goes? I have a chilton, but I cant find it in there.

Also, the wires that are connected to the speakers are different colors than the ones going to the stereo (if that makes sence). So I dont know what is + and -. I just got a stereo from a pawn shop and wanted to hook it up, all I got is the constant 12, ignition, and ground hooked up, I need to know what the speakers are? Normaly it is purple, grey, green, and white, and one has a black strip on it for the negative. All the ones that are coming out to hook up to the stereo are all different colors, and I dont know what is what?

On my deck, it is purple, green, white and grey, and then it has a wire for my alarm-orange, (a door sensor? dont know what color or what it is?), a blue and white remote on (antenna or amp), and a few others that I dont need to worry about.

So far I have hooked it up so it turns on, and works. I just need the speaker wire colors = L or R and front and rear. HELP I NEED MUSIC, I have been without for 3 months!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:38 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

help please I wanted to get this done tonight....
Old 12-14-2004, 06:58 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

trial and error is your friend in regard to electronics

but my bet is the white/grey speakers are rear, and the purple/green are front. Orange is usually the dimmer wire (senses lights turning on)

what you need to do is test it by getting a speaker, and using the fader/balance functions. Start by fading it to figure out front/back, and then figure out left/right from there.

usually, the wires are labeled. Pawn shops suck
Old 12-15-2004, 06:35 AM
VPUPPY

goto www.installdr.com, go under 'quick radio wiring info' link, click on honda/acura, a .pdf file comes up and the wire harness breakdown with all the wire colors on the cars side are listed. your car harness is the first on the page.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Robby94LS

If you are just hookin up a head unit do not hardwire it. Buy a wire harnes and then connect it to the head unit (everyone of them I have done, the colors have matched) then when you unplug your stock unit just plug in the wire harnes which is hooked up to the stereo.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Hey thanks Vpuppy, that was a big help, I went there and got the wire colors and matched everything up. Works perfect, and also found out I have a blown rear speaker.... But yea, I couldnt just plug anything in because when my stuff got jacked, they didnt want to be nice and unplug everything, they decided to cut the wires behind the stock plug, so I had no idea what goes to where? The wires make no sence at all (for example pioneer has grey, purple, green, and white, and the negative for all of them has a black stripe on it, and the solid color is the +) Honda decided to mix and match colors....For thoes who would like to know - http://www.installer.com/cars/honda.html
Old 12-16-2004, 06:13 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

alarms > *
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

wha?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:07 PM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

Originally Posted by racerdave
The wires make no sence at all (for example pioneer has grey, purple, green, and white, and the negative for all of them has a black stripe on it, and the solid color is the +)
that's like a pretty common standard in elctronics, sometimes the same idea but with a whtie line on the negative.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM
seansosmooth05

on the wire colors google it i found many different sites that will give u a free accuret chart it will tell you what color gose to what color on the radios harness and it will tell you wat each wire is for
4 the wires at the speakers you can 1. look at the speaker it self and it will have the (+,-) really small on it and 2. there is like 5 billon colorer combos 4 the wire but 4 the speakers the (-) wire should have a spasific marking on it that all the speakers (-) wires should have hope i helped