Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Turning my car sub systen into a home theater sub? Possible?

Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 AM
civic_dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning my car sub systen into a home theater sub? Possible?

Alright, i have an extra 10" sub in an ported enclosure and an amp laying around that used to be in my old civic. I was wondering if its posible to set it up to work with my home theater/reciever. If yes, how would i do it. Thanks in advance!

Vinh
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
seansosmooth05

o ya if u hav the sub and the amp. your reciever's sub out put is a coxal conecter (thats the same kind that gose from the car head unit to the amp the red and white ones) so if you dont have a box buy or build one but the amp in side (make sure if you amp get warm just from use put vents in the back of the box next to and above the amp. now 4 power to the amp that will be a lil tricky dependent on how good you are with electical so 4 more on that or any thing els just ask
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 PM
civic_dude

yea the sub is already in the box. all i need to figure out is how to power it. I was thinking about some type of ac/dc converter. But i really don't know if it'll work. Anyone have any suggestions. thanks !!!!

vinh
Old 01-11-2005, 06:58 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by seansosmooth05
o ya if u hav the sub and the amp. your reciever's sub out put is a coxal conecter (thats the same kind that gose from the car head unit to the amp the red and white ones) so if you dont have a box buy or build one but the amp in side (make sure if you amp get warm just from use put vents in the back of the box next to and above the amp. now 4 power to the amp that will be a lil tricky dependent on how good you are with electical so 4 more on that or any thing els just ask
:thinking: That is really confusing to read.

-AC / DC power supplies. That amp takes 12-14 volts. You do not have that in your house unless you get a converter.

Edit- Looks like you already realize this. IMO, it is not worth it. Get a real home audio sub and amp.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:02 PM
97teg

I doubt that you will be able to find a power supply able to handle the current needed for a reasonable price. I would just buy something like this and it would be a lot less headaches.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-804

I run an amp similar to that on two car tens in a home theater and it does really well.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 AM
civic_dude

thanks guys!!! yea i'm prolly gonnna get that amp
Old 01-12-2005, 12:25 AM
97teg

Oh that amp isnt rated for below 4 ohms so hopefully your sub is 4 or above. Might want to check that.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 AM
seansosmooth05

for power you could go the like radio shack look for a plug that puts out hte right amount of volts, current, ohms all that good stuf and if u are good with the wireing thing u could install a power button using ur remot wire
Old 01-12-2005, 03:07 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Here's what I did once. I had an unused computer sound system with a sub and sattelites. I unhooked the small 4 inch subwoofer from the control box and ran wires from inside the box to a set of tens which I set my TV stand on.
I bought an adapter that turns the RCA type plugs into a headphone type plug that goes to the systems control box. And I placed the sattelites here and there.
Now it's true teh computer sound system thing was designed to only push a much smaller sub, but it turned out the Ohms were right and I had enough wattage, so I put two unused systems together and had a really bassy home theatre setup.
It didn't look all that bad either.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 AM
rcurley55

You have a few options:
1. Get an AC/DC converter to put out enough current at 12v to power the car amp - pretty expensive
2. Get a sub amp from partsexpress - will have a crossover, some even have a remote so you can adjust the ouput
3. Use an existing channel/channels from your current receiver and build a passive crossover to supply only bass to the subs

Those are the only threee "correct" ways I could come up with - in 2 minutes - on how to do this. You could try some computer sub amplifier or a range of other things, but in the end, option 2 is probably the most cost effective solution. You can also re-use it down the road to build your own home theater sub if you want to - there are plenty of drivers out there for under 150 bucks that would make a killer ht sub.