Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

sound system help! (DC4 Integra)

Old 11-16-2004, 04:50 PM
ckehl13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound system help!

hey, i'm a relatively new integra owner and the car i bought has the factory stereo, speakers, and everything. i really want to upgrade it all with new speakers, amp, maybe even a sub or two and i wanted to find out what speakers work well with integras and i figured why not ask the integra community first hand?
any help is appreciated. i'm only 16 so anything fairly inexpensive would help a lot. something with a lot of quality for not like a billion dollars thanks everyone!
just for reference, i've got a 2000 integra ls. voltage blue w/ grey/black standard interior (if possible have something that matches) i also plan on getting new tenzo seats, a momo wheel, and some blue neon to flood out of the spot where the pedals are. all color coordinating so any help to match would be excellent! THANKS SO MUCH!
p.s. i've got a pretty loud exhaust system so it would have to be pretty loud. it's a thermal exhaust system if that helps? i'm not really sure on the specs.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
tonto0808

it depends on the type of sound you like. i have heard focal, boston acoustic, diamond, and eclipse speakers in my car. i currently have the eclipse system. them and the bostons are the most reasonably priced. if you search internet eclipse can e found real reasonable. replace your tweeters also. as always you get what you pay for. the eclipse are a very nice mid upperline speakers. in my family we have another car with focal speakers, they need more power=more money, but sound great, they and the diamond i thnk have lower db levels, they also have a real crisp and the highs are real pronounced, while the low end is deep but to my taste the mid is weak in these two. the eclipse are a softer set and to my tast produce the best mid, and have a great tweeter if you get the separates, the bostons however provide a real good combination of all the low mid and high, for usually a low price. they are quality though. i have boston subs, but there are different price lines by all manufacturers. also consider silk vs metal (titanium) silk is softer titanium is sharper. u have lots to think over nicer and louder speakers require a lot more amp power which is money. make sure you listen to all the speakers first and decide on personal taste, as i said for an entry system that sounds great and doesn't cost too much i think the boston would work. i have an eclipse head unit which blends seemlessly into the console of a black integra. we have also had a nakimechi which was an amazing head unit, good luck
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
yurey

i have had great expirience with MB quart speakers and Pioneer Premier head units. As far ass amps/bass i would go with 2 alpine amps (1 for speakers, 1 for sub. I have not found a better sub yet then JL audio.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
worm696

give a price range, and we can go from there
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to Audio & Security.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:01 AM
VPUPPY

head units:
pioneer head unit(premiere) - great bang for the buck
alpine head unit/eclipse - real nice but can be pricey

speakers:
infinity(reference or kappa) - great bang for the buck(reference series) - great bass response, plays the full range - no tiney, boom box sound

you need to make sure whatever speakers you go with up front has a medium sized magnet. if it's too big, the window will hit it. i know infinity reference should fit no problem.

sub:
alpine(type s or type r's) - expensive but worth it, type r's may be hard to find

jl audio - awsome subs

rockford - better higher end subs

mtx - some of their cheaper stuff sounds good

as far as amps for you subs(mono block or 2 channel amps) or your interior speakers(4 channel amp) i would hold off. this stuff is pricey, and rememeber installation can be expensive if you have it done. i would start with the head unit, but make sure the head unit has rca preouts(needed for adding amps) for the front and rear and one for sub woofers(aka subwoofer control - you can adjust the subs without going to the amp). after that get your interior speakers done and look into amps subs if needed. i have listed only a few of many possibilities but look around for a great deal then make you decision and most importantly listen to them all before you buy.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:51 AM
orbit77

my 2cents

if you go decide to go with an pioneer head unit, i'd suggest the 8600 or the premiere 860. they both have time alignment so later on when you get more into your stereo you'll be set. i never tired the eclipse head units but i've heard great things about their mid to high level head unit.

i use the infinity components in my car, they are great for what they cost but lack in the mid ranges i think. the infinity perfect components are suppose to have a bit more bite to the mid range. i've actually made the kenwood excelon components sound nice at work before. the alpine type r's and type x's are also good too.

as far as subs go, the jl w7's are just hella expensive and i would get a adire shiva for half the price and i heard they're very close to w7's. also the alpine type r's are a great bang for the buck. the infinity perfects are great i've put them in a few cars and they're strictly nice sq subs. rockfords i just don't like, i'm not sure if it was i use to install all their stuff when i was at best buy or not but i think they're over rated the punch stage 3's are nice but kinda needs alot of power and space.

as far as 4 channels i would definately get into the polk momo amp, it has a great s/n and as well as can be setting to be an active crossover. the new jl and alpine amps are alwasys a great choice.

i would say the importants parts to look at is the head unit and amps. since you can use alright speakers and tweak them with the amp or headunit to make them sound better.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:51 PM
97teg

A better idea of a budget would be a good starting point. Go out and listen to some speakers and say which ones you thought were good to get a better idea of what you like. If you want good volume your really going to have to amp the front speakers. Just please dont buy audiobahn
Old 11-20-2004, 01:03 PM
superteg99

I have audiobahn speakers and tweeters powered by a Clarion amp and it sounds great, super loud too. There alittle bite more then your average speaker but they are 100% worth in my opinion. Before I got my Clarion amp they were powered by the stock headunit it is still sounded perfect. They pick up everything, highs,lows,mids anything. More money but very good.