Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

A few questions on 2003 Accord wiring

Old 10-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Jason1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions on 2003 Accord wiring

1) the diagram from installdr.com says my wiring for the Ignition/Accessory wire is Yellow w/Red stripe. Would it be true that ANY wire on my car (not just the wires from the head unit) that's yellow w/red stripe is an Ignition/Accessory wire? I'm having trouble getting to the wiring from my head unit to splice into the Ignition/Accessory wire, but there is an unused harness under the driver's side that includes a yellow wire w/red stripe. Can I just use that to run my amp's remote wire to (installation instructions with the amp say to run the REMOTE to ACCESSORY/IGNITION wire if using the factory head unit and there is no head unit remote wire to connect to)?

2) I bought speaker wire harnesses made by Metra/Dashworks that will connect to my factory speaker wire harness. The aftermarket harness has a black wire and a white wire. Is it safe to assume that black is negative (-) and white is positive (+) for connecting to my new aftermarket speakers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Jason1972

Default Nevermind on #1

I found a place to wire it.

Still looking for answer on Metra wiring.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
TTT

I'm confused on what your asking... you say you're connecting the black and white wires to your speakers, are these speaker wires? If so, there should be at least 4 wires, two + and two -... there are usually 8 but there should be at least 4 if the deck has an internal amplifier.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Jason1972

Default Wiring harness

Originally Posted by TTT
I'm confused on what your asking... you say you're connecting the black and white wires to your speakers, are these speaker wires? If so, there should be at least 4 wires, two + and two -... there are usually 8 but there should be at least 4 if the deck has an internal amplifier.
I bought 4 Metra speaker wire harnesses. Each harness snap-connects to the existing factory wire harness for each factory speaker. So, for example, the left rear car harness unsnaps from the factory speaker and I then snap the Metra harness into the existing factory harness. So, what I'm left with is 2 speaker wires at each speaker point. These 2 speaker wires (one solid black and one solid white) are supposed to connect to my new aftermarket speakers + and -. My question is which Metra wire goes to which speaker terminal? Does the white wire go to + on the speaker and the black to -?

I'm just talking about hooking up new speakers through the existing wiring in my car. The Metra harnesses just snap onto the factory wiring harness at each point (front left, front right, rear left, rear right) leaving me a solid white and a solid black wire at each speaker point.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:17 PM
augy

When in doubt, black is negative, red/white is positive.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
TTT

On your left speaker, your negative factory wire is gray with a black stripe, so whichever color wire connects to that wire is your negative (be it black or white)

On the right speaker your negative is brown with a black stripe.

Either way, it should not affect it that much... if you have rear speakers then you could get some cancellation if your polarity is off. If you don't have rear speakers then there will be absolutely no difference.