Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Car alarm question

Old 09-25-2004, 05:28 PM
aero3685

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car alarm question

Hey,
Im looking into purchasing a new car alarm. I want to get something good, and possibly a 2-way one that'll show me whats going on. I am willing to spend some money, and will be doing it all myself to ensure that it is done right. But im trying to find a good alarm that will give me these capabilities:

I want to add in:
*Power windows up/down(so i can roll them down w/the remote and it still be armed)
*a proximity sensor
*the vibration/knock sensor they usually come w/.
*a battery backed up siren
*and possibility for some other toy like dome light activation or something.

I dont need auto start/defrost.

I have heard that matrix, DEI, and clifford are good alarms, but its quite annoying looking online, cuz there is soo much different stuff on everyones website. Im guessing there are only a few different manufacturers, and they have a bunch of separate smaller names. But what would you guys suggest. I was going to go to an audio store... but im not sure how much help they will be, since they just want you to buy something from them.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:12 PM
aero3685

anyone?
Old 10-01-2004, 05:30 PM
oei28

I hear that DEI Viper and Clifford Systems are one of the best. As for myself, I'm a broke college student so I don't have much to spend. So I got the AX200 from Best Buy. It seems similar to the Pestige model, just renamed. Had it for a few months and i'm happy with it. It works, goes off when it's supposed to, and no fasle alarms yet that I know of. With all the features that you want, I would go with either Viper or Clifford. I'm not sure if you would want to go with the proximity sensor, because it will go off with every little thing, and noone will care when it goes off when something actually happens. Shock sensors come with just about any alarm. Everything else you mentioned can be added with additional parts that can be wired to the alarm brain(windows, battery backup, domelight). I have the remote trunk pop thing and it's kinda nice to have at times. Hope this helps you a bit.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM
aero3685

yeah, well i have a viper on my other car, and just heard that its easier to get past. There is a Clifford Matrix dealer around here I just found out about, so thats where im gonna hit up, and see what they can do for me. As far as the proximity sensor... i would only be setting it to detect things in the car. So like i could leave the windows down, but if someone put a hand in the window it would go off.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I would bet that you will have a hard time finding a good alarm and being able to buy it and install it yourself. Most places are required by the manufacturer to install the alarm for the consumer to insure it's put in correctly. This is the problem I've run into at least. :dunno:
Old 10-04-2004, 07:39 PM
oei28

Originally Posted by Hondaman
I would bet that you will have a hard time finding a good alarm and being able to buy it and install it yourself. Most places are required by the manufacturer to install the alarm for the consumer to insure it's put in correctly. This is the problem I've run into at least. :dunno:
ya, but I bet you'll find an online retailer to sell it to you. If worst comes to worst, there's ebay :lmao: