Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

XM Satty Radio issues resolved..finally!!

Old 10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
CJITTY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Satty Radio issues resolved..finally!!

Ok, I'll be as brief as possible. I have an XM Ski-Fi Radio with the XM wireless FM Modulator. Well, while driving at higher RPMs,especially while cruising 80mph on the highway, I would get annoying engine noise on certain bass frequencies while playing my XM. So, I thought it was one of the following problems:

1. Bad ground in cig lighter or with wireless FM modulator.
2. Bad antenna cable allowing interference to come through.
3. Weak antenna since I removed my broken power antenna and replaced with one of those black rubber duckie antennas.

The thing was, my CD player and regular FM/AM radio would not do this, only when I played my XM through the FM wireless modulator. So, I regrounded the cig lighter to the same ground as the radio...didn't solve the problem. Spliced the cig power into the power wire for the radio..didn't solve the problem.

So, I narrowed it down to the FM modulator. I went on XMFANSTORE.com and purchased an M-Bus aux input cable for my Alpine stereo and picked up a 3ft right angle phono to RCA cable from Radio Shack. Hooked up the cables to the M-Bus RCA lead in's to my Alpine, tune the source button to AUX and voila...NO..MORE...DRAMA! Got rid of that damn XM Wireless modulator. My XM sounds better than ever and absolutely no static what so ever. Total was $22 to fix my annoying problem. $15 for the M-Bus input connector, $7 for the radio shack cable.

Sorry for the long post, but there may be somebody out there dealing with this and I wanted to help out with my story.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Emmett03

I'll buy your old Modulator
Old 10-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Toyz51

Yeah, the wireless modulator is crap, it is just for people who want an easy install. Even going with a wired modulator, the sound quality is much better, but you definitly went with the best solution.