Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

anyone put 6x9 subs in rear of accord?

Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 AM
dazco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What may make you happier, is to simply remove the factory rears, and use a powered subwoofer like an infinity basslink. Based on your previous statements, I think this will give you a good mixture of bass, low cost, and space savings.
That doesn't sound like you even read my previous statements ! Again.....i do not want to, and will not under any conditions do anything to my stock accord system but replace the rear 6x9's. I can't make that any more clear. I'm happy with the way it is except for the rear bass getting distorted as it gets louder. And since the rears really only contribute to the low end, subs seemed to be the best idea.

I'm NOT looking for that kicking sub sound that you all lust after. I just want the bass to be tighter in the rear w/o losing the amount of low end i have now. Many of the ones i've listened to so far are either lacking in lows, or the highs are blaring, and i don't want the high end to compete with the fronts and ruin that. But the ones that have little high end had lousy bass. There seemed to be no in-between w/o going to the $200 plus speakers. So i thought a pair of subs would ge good since they would be less likly to distort because they are made to handle lows. And even tho they wouldn't be enclosed, the rear gets a lot less power than the front, so i think they'd perform fine, especially since the problem with using subs free air is only a problem if you're trying for that super tight cranked bass tone thats so popular today, which i'm not. To my ear thats not even a realistic sound. It's bass taken to an un-natural extreme IMO.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 AM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by dazco
That doesn't sound like you even read my previous statements ! Again.....i do not want to, and will not under any conditions do anything to my stock accord system but replace the rear 6x9's.
sigh - I read them all just fine - what you are attempting to do is shove a square peg in a round hole. try as you might, but it won't work. making any kind of bass notes at any volume is probably going to require more power then your factory system will provide!

I can't make that any more clear. I'm happy with the way it is except for the rear bass getting distorted as it gets louder. And since the rears really only contribute to the low end, subs seemed to be the best idea.
And ask yourself - why do they distort? Then look above at why I made the suggestions I did - the reason I said what I did will become clear.

I'm NOT looking for that kicking sub sound that you all lust after.
Don't generalize people on this board - I'm actually suggeting the proper solution for the sound you want...

So i thought a pair of subs would ge good since they would be less likly to distort because they are made to handle lows.
This is true, but they will distort if they have no power

And even tho they wouldn't be enclosed, the rear gets a lot less power than the front, so i think they'd perform fine,
read the statement above....

especially since the problem with using subs free air is only a problem if you're trying for that super tight cranked bass tone thats so popular today, which i'm not.
A sub run free-air is going to require MORE power then a small sealed one would. Again, you will probably want more power - not a ton, but more then the factory will provide - a simple, small 100W amplifier will do the trick

To my ear thats not even a realistic sound. It's bass taken to an un-natural extreme IMO.
It all depends on how you install and what you install. Do what you will, I'm just trying to save you from wasting money - in the end, it's your decision.

So in the end, decide if you want to do things right the first time or not. I don't understand why you are so against adding an amplifier to make these 6x9 subs you want to buy work properly?

Last edited by rcurley55; 09-08-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM
dazco

And ask yourself - why do they distort? Then look above at why I made the suggestions I did - the reason I said what I did will become clear
Ok, let me clear this up. The reason the rears distort isn't because my system can't supply enough power. (yes, i know it's not real powerful, but for my purpose it's fine) It's because the rears are EXTREMELY cheesy speakers. If you have the last accord gen you can look at them and see what i mean. They have magnets the size of a thimble literally. These speakers are so cheap and inefficiant they'd distort at the volumes i'm talking about with any amp. The fronts on the other hand can get so friggin loud before breaking up it's in a whole other league...not even close. The amp is fine..........the rear speakers are crap. thats the entire problem. For the rear amp to cause this it would have to be far weaker than the front, and even then i'd have a hard time believing it because the rears distort at too low a low volume for it to be the amp and not the speakers. The reason i said they distort at higher volumes is because the fronts are much lounder and by the time the rears distort, they aren't at a high volume, but the front is, and so the overall sound level is fairly high. At that point they are supplying the perfect amount of lows to compliment the fronts, but are then flabbing out.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:41 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by rcurley55
sigh - I read them all just fine - what you are attempting to do is shove a square peg in a round hole. try as you might, but it won't work. making any kind of bass notes at any volume is probably going to require more power then your factory system will provide!

And ask yourself - why do they distort? Then look above at why I made the suggestions I did - the reason I said what I did will become clear.

Don't generalize people on this board - I'm actually suggeting the proper solution for the sound you want...

This is true, but they will distort if they have no power

read the statement above....

A sub run free-air is going to require MORE power then a small sealed one would. Again, you will probably want more power - not a ton, but more then the factory will provide - a simple, small 100W amplifier will do the trick

It all depends on how you install and what you install. Do what you will, I'm just trying to save you from wasting money - in the end, it's your decision.

So in the end, decide if you want to do things right the first time or not. I don't understand why you are so against adding an amplifier to make these 6x9 subs you want to buy work properly?

:werd: x 6574654654654654

Well put! :goodjob:
Old 09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by dazco
Ok, let me clear this up. The reason the rears distort isn't because my system can't supply enough power. (yes, i know it's not real powerful, but for my purpose it's fine) It's because the rears are EXTREMELY cheesy speakers. If you have the last accord gen you can look at them and see what i mean. They have magnets the size of a thimble literally. These speakers are so cheap and inefficiant they'd distort at the volumes i'm talking about with any amp. The fronts on the other hand can get so friggin loud before breaking up it's in a whole other league...not even close. The amp is fine..........the rear speakers are crap. thats the entire problem. For the rear amp to cause this it would have to be far weaker than the front, and even then i'd have a hard time believing it because the rears distort at too low a low volume for it to be the amp and not the speakers. The reason i said they distort at higher volumes is because the fronts are much lounder and by the time the rears distort, they aren't at a high volume, but the front is, and so the overall sound level is fairly high. At that point they are supplying the perfect amount of lows to compliment the fronts, but are then flabbing out.
Great - sounds like you are convinced of what it is you need to do
Old 09-08-2004, 05:18 PM
dazco

Great - sounds like you are convinced of what it is you need to do
Well, yes as a matter of fact i am. While i may not be knowledgable when it comes to auto sound specifically, i have been a live sound engineer and tech for more years than i care to admit to, and work in that field to this day. It's second nature to me to know whether it's the speaker or amp thats causing a problem like this, and i know for a fact that a set of strong 6x9's with a healthy SPL will in fact do the job. All i was trying to accomplish is get opinions on using 6x9 subs in the rear from those who have done it if any because all i need is a tight low end from them and don't need much volume. I didn't need any advice on amps or anything else, but thats pretty much all i got. And then i become the ahole by trying to explain that so the conversation would get back to what i asked in the 1st place. Whatever.