Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp problem

Old 08-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Nors
倍力恋

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp problem

Alright, well i installed an 4 channel amp the other day in a 95 accord.

Slight noise when the engine is on, like a whine, I'm asumming its a bad ground, will try to fix that soon.

But another big problem is, after it plays for like 5 minutes, it sounds like the cd is skipping in certian channels like the speaker will crackle and stuff and sound really bad, I can't be blowing them 'cause they are rated for 75 watts rms, and I am only giving them about 65 rms.

Its very anoying it like "bottoms out" or something, I really can';t explain the noise but like they speaker will play with like no low frequencies for a few seconds then come back.. it only appears to happen on low frequencies.

What could this be?

I only notice it when my engine is on, but im not 100% sure on that part.

Could this be a bad ground also?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:10 PM
TTT

Fix the ground first, a bad ground causes all sorts of problems. Also, you could make your speakers bottom out and also blow even if you are sending less wattage to the speakers. If you are pushing your amp past its limits (gain knob set very high) you will be sending a clipped signal to your speakers which could damage them. After you fix your ground, set your gain properly. The conventional way to set the gain is to turn the knob all the way down initially and turn your stereo up as loud as you would normally listen to it, then turn the gain up to the point right before distortion.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Nors
倍力恋

Yeah I set the gain properly, Ill fix the ground drive around for a little.. see if it happens. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

What kind of speakers and what amp is this?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Nors
倍力恋

6x9s are rockford fosgate
the door panels are jenson, i don't know the specs on them

amp is a profile amp.

4x75 watts rms
Old 08-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Nors
倍力恋

new problem..

only occurs when the car is on and moving... i can be on and parked and nothing happens.

after about 10 minutes or so.. the rear channels fade in and out.. but it only happens when the cars igniton is on, and the car is actually moving..

could this be a bad ground?
Old 08-29-2004, 05:22 PM
KuttinEdge

It is the same problem. And chances are that the noise is still there when at idle but you really cant hear it until a fluctuation in the alternator frequency occurs. The nosie that you are hearing is what we refer to as engine noise. Your alternator puts out alternating current AC (hence the name). The whining noise that you hear is an interference by electromagnetic waves that find their way into signal wires (RCA, speaker wires, etc...) A bad ground is usually the first and easiest thing to look at. make sure that your ground wire connection is touching bare metal... use sanpaper to clear off all paint. If the problem still occurs, where are your power wires in refrence to your signal wires? If power wires are too close to signal wires, they may introduce unwanted noise into the system. There are a few other possibilities but these are the most common
Old 08-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Nors
倍力恋

Thanks for the reply.

I thought what you though too, so i revved the engine and stuff when in park, still no noise.

I am going to try to move the ground and see whats up with that... could a bad ground 'cause over heating?

Becuase, it seems that that could be the problem, its not noise interference, its more like the channels just fade out for a second and fade back in..