Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Zero ohms across amplifer power to Ground

Old 08-20-2004, 02:37 PM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero ohms across amplifer power to Ground

whattup guys,
I was trying to install a Lanzarr vibe 220 amp (http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...?product=18866)
in my car this weekend and repeatedly blew both fuses running to it every time I connected it to the battery. I took a DMM and found a short from power to ground on the unit itself, has anyone ever heard of this or have any idea what I could do?

I opened the unit up and found nothing that abnormal (expecting maybe a loose screw to be touching across leads or whatever). I don't know what it could be, thanks in advance for any assist.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:59 PM
crak600
Hi

sounds like an internal problem. there should be resistance between the power and ground terminals, and if you remove the fuse(s) in the amp itself, there should be infinite resistance between the 2 terminals.

if it's brand new, i'd take it back to where you bought it and tell them of the problem.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:06 PM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

bought it used from a friend unfortunatley, a friend who knows nothing about electronics so I can't blame him (never installed it himself). Thanks for the repsone, I dont' think I checked the ohmage w/o a fuse in, and I keep writing emails to Lanzar but they dont' respond (bastards!).
Old 08-21-2004, 07:05 AM
crak600
Hi

good luck on the amp situation.

when i installed my first subwoofer, i blew an amp before the initial turn on. i was overly exicited and wasn't paying attention to what i was doing. i left the power line hooked into the battery and was screwing it into the terminal on the amp (removed it to do something...big mistake....). i accidentily touched the screwdriver from the terminal to the amp chassis and got a big ZAP. amp was toast.

luckily i was single at the time and had money to burn. i ran to a Sony outlet an hour away and bought a new sub amp. had it hooked up before leaving the parking lot.

sold the blown amp to a kid i worked with who was still in high school. he was in the Vo-Tec electronics program. i made the $20 back that i paid for it from a friend, and he got it working again after replacing a few minor parts.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 AM
honura
Seni

I don't like those Amps I find them to give a whole lot of problems and dump bass and low levels.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:01 AM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

^ well that sucks to hear, I just wanted to get this basically free amp working though.

Still a short w/ the fuse out, I'm surprised Lanzar won't respond to me.