Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Which input for amp?

Old 08-19-2004, 05:17 PM
carrwash13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which input for amp?

I have 2 inputs on my cd player. The "rear input" and the "SW" inputs which I can only assume means Subwoofer. I know my cd player (pioneer 6600) is able to run a sub-woofer on its own without an amp so I'm wondering if the "SW" inputs are for that and the "rear input" is for if I run an amp and a sub-woofer. I guess my question is which input (sw or rear input) I'm supposed to use for my amp which runs my sub?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:01 PM
crak600
Hi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the manual, but i'd be willing to bet that the SW is for the subwoofer output. if you have subwoofer controls on the head unit (part of how it's programmed) then chances are very good that those SW lines are specifically for the subwoofer. the rear output can be used for anything really. i've had to deal with head units that only had one output, so i've used them for front/rear/sub and had no problems.

i konw personally i'm hesitant of head units with that stuff, as i like to run my subs between 90-100hz instead of straight cut off at 80hz. brings the bass lines in the music i listen to out just a little bit more. i also cut my front speakers at 70-80, depending on how good they are. i don't want/need a head unit or any other piece of equipment making these decisions for me. i'd rather wire in an active crossover (which i did in my last car).