Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

anyone know how to install

Old 07-30-2004, 09:09 PM
dtaandy
Andy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know how to install

subs in the trunk? I dont no wut to do
Old 07-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Silhouette
Back in Black

What kind of car? Did you already buy subs?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Intrepid241

your question is a little unclear...
Old 07-30-2004, 09:36 PM
dtaandy
Andy

its for a 95 accord
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Silhouette
Back in Black

Well, I'm guessing you haven't bought your subs yet so there's two ways I'm aware of that you can do it. Whatever you choose, you'll need either housing for your subs or a stable area to bolt it to, depending on the type you buy. I've seen stand-alone subs (cylindrical in shape and can be mounted inside your trunk somewhere) as well as the kind that are basically just big ass speakers that require housing. What is best for you is dependant upon 1. Your budget 2. The products you find and 3. Your personal preference (Just how much boom you really want etc.)

Anyway, if you go with the standalone subs then installation is pretty easy from what I understand. You really just need the dimensions of the sub and then you can figure out where you'd want to mount it in your trunk. When you buy it the standalone it should come with everything you need (mountings, bolts, whatever) as well as instructions (again, pretty simple stuff.) I'd talk to whoever you make your purchase from because chances are they'll just explain these things to you in greater detail. I've seen it done and have lost the DIY site unfortunately, so good luck.

The second possible way is buying subs that are just big f*ing speakers that require a housing. You can either buy the actual units (the big speakers) and then build your own housing for them that fits your trunk perfectly- or have a shop do it- or you can purchase a pair of subs that are already mounted w/i a housing. There's a variety of quality/prices available depending on which way you go with this. The most convenient route would probably be to buy subs already mounted in their own housing. The downside to that is the fact that the housing is not tailored to your trunk and therefor will basically sit in there like a lump w/o conforming to anything. If you go with buying the units and the building your own housing, you're looking at a fair amount of work, buying materials for the housing etc. and then doing all the wiring/making sure there's no distortion etc. The upside is that 1. It'll conform to your trunk if you build it right so it'll look good and save space 2. You'll have learned alot about your sound system and 3. You can say you did it yourself etc.

I wouldn't consider this a "how to install subs" post, I'm just outlining ways to go about it since I still don't know where you are w/ your budget, preference and all that. Hope this helped you some. I'm sure somebody else has a better knowledge of sound systems than me (I've done everything but subs so far; don't want em) so hopefully they'll speak up. Feel free to correct me on anything, anyone.

Let us know exactly what you're looking to accomplish and I'm sure we'll explain as much as we can. The more detailed your questions the better.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:43 PM
dtaandy
Andy

alright man thnx for the info
Old 07-31-2004, 08:04 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

If you get a stand alone sub then you really don't need any brackets to keep it in place if you mount your amp behind the back seat as well, because you could use shorter monster wire then to keep the sub taut which is better anyways to have shorter wire distances. If the sub that you get for instance, Rockford Phosgate comes with the amp attached to the top of the sub then you can just corner L brackets to screw into the trunk floor and that will hold it into place as well.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:38 AM
apexivtecaccord
ITZJDM

first off you do not wanna keep your subs in place by your monster wire you can get L brackets from your local hardware store which work a TON better
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Com'on, use L brackets. They've got to be less than about $1.25 at Home Depot. heh.