Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Installation Questions

Old 06-07-2004, 09:32 AM
MoreSlowthango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Installation Questions

Hello All.
Ok.. I've had car audio in my car for about 10 years now..(not the same kind all this time!)
I'd like to learn how to install my own HU and amps. This weekend with my friend I'm going to attempt to run an amp.
I plan to install a 4 channel amp to have 2 channels going to the front speakers and bridging two channels to power a sub.
My Questions are below.
1. Where is the firewall hole in a 6th gen accord sedan?
2. I know power and rca's get run through different sides of the car, but in order to power front speakers, do I need to run speaker wire? How do I amp the front speakers I guess is my question?
3. how do I bridge the two channels of my amp? Is this amp specific? If so, I can provide pics and details.
4. Any suggestions on where to ground the amp in the back of a 6th gen accord?

Thanks guys! Also, if anyone is near Edison,New Jersey and wants to hook me up with an install on Saturday, lunch is on me!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 AM
1992CivicSI
Don't Conform, Innovate

Need more info on the amp.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Special K

#2. If you're running rca plugs from your head unit to the amp, run the speaker wire for the front speakers in the same area, yes you will need to use speaker wire. The amount of speaker wire you end up using will ultimately depend on where you mount your amp.

Bridging, check your amp user manual to see if it's even bridgable. What Amp and Sub are you running? Also, you may want to check your amp to see if there's a built in crossover or lowpass filter, if not you're going to have all the regular frequencies going to your sub as your front speakers, which isn't the greatest for sound quality. As well a general rule is that your sub has double the power of the speakers in your system to get the best results. (I might be stating the obvious....)

Hope this helps.....
Old 06-07-2004, 02:49 PM
MoreSlowthango

Thanks for the help guys!

Some more info on the amp:
MTX Road Thunder RT 4240 4 Channel Amp
45 Watts RMS / CH x 4 into 4ohms
60 Watts RMS / CH x 4 into 2 ohms
120 Watts RMS / CH Bridged x 2 into 4 Ohms.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:33 PM
TTT

#1.
I really don't know. Usually there are places to pass through near where the pedals go into the firewall... if you can't find a hole you can either make one by using a hammer and hammering where you want to drill the hole so you don't drill anything important, or you can usually pass the wire through the fender, from the door jam to the area that the hood latches on to your car.

#2.
You need to run speaker wire from your amp to your speakers. The head unit speaker wire out will not be used, only the rca's. A trick to use is to cut the speaker wire behind the head unit, not from the doors, so you don't have to rewire everything. You can hook up the amp's speaker wires to where you cut the wires. This will eliminate you needing to take your door panels off to rewire your front speakers.

#3.
Usually you use the + from one channel and the - from another, but this can be different with each amp. Check the manual and it will tell you. But remember, bridging is not always better. Check to make sure that you are wiring your speakers to the correct resistance before you go bridging your amp.

#4.
You can ground the amp pretty much anywhere you want. Everytime I've grounded an amp in the trunk, I've either used a pre-existing bolt from something under the carpet in the trunk area, or drilled a new hole and put a bolt in it. Just remember to get a clean ground on your system, and sand off any paint that could get in the way. The ground is a crutial part of your system, and you don't want it to be barely functional.

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask... and most of your questions can be answered here: www.bcae1.com
Old 06-08-2004, 08:49 AM
MoreSlowthango

Thanks Special K and especially TTT! All the info you provide was great!
I'll let ya know how it turns out!
Charlie
Old 06-08-2004, 10:06 AM
TTT

No problem and good luck

Let us know if you have any problems.